Author Topic: Window switch  (Read 321 times)

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
Window switch
« on: Sunday,July 04, 2021, 07:01:44 AM »
Hi can someone please confirm that this looks like the correct switch for the windows please?
Thank you,
Graham

Offline BDA

Re: Window switch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,July 04, 2021, 08:04:36 AM »
It doesn’t look like one to me. The original switches had 6 posts. A replacement might have three. The switch changes the polarity of the juice going to the motor.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,July 04, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »
3 pairs of brass terminals, switch in the middle position, with spring loaded up and down.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,July 04, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »
That switch looks like it would probably reverse polarity to a pair of wires connected to the centre contacts, with positive and ground connected to the end pair.

Looking at the wiring diagrams all the Europas with electric windows had three wire motors. Earth and an input for up and an input for down where +12V would be applied. Has the motor been changed?

To use that switch with a standard motor I would expect to connect live to one of the centre contacts and the up/down signals to the pair at the end.

Edit: Forgot to say. Make sure you check the switch operation is as expected with a multimeter, or bulb and power source, prior to wiring into the car, or you may release all the smoke from the motor and wiring, and need to replace it......
« Last Edit: Sunday,July 04, 2021, 10:41:02 AM by SilverBeast »

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,July 04, 2021, 01:08:22 PM »
That switch looks like it would probably reverse polarity to a pair of wires connected to the centre contacts, with positive and ground connected to the end pair.

Looking at the wiring diagrams all the Europas with electric windows had three wire motors. Earth and an input for up and an input for down where +12V would be applied. Has the motor been changed?

To use that switch with a standard motor I would expect to connect live to one of the centre contacts and the up/down signals to the pair at the end.

Edit: Forgot to say. Make sure you check the switch operation is as expected with a multimeter, or bulb and power source, prior to wiring into the car, or you may release all the smoke from the motor and wiring, and need to replace it......
I have checked with a meter and continuity from a centre pin moves between left and right end pins as switch is operated in either direction. I will test with a bulb before attempting to smoke my motors though.

Thank for the replies as always!