Author Topic: final adjustment after road test  (Read 394 times)

Offline califkid_66

final adjustment after road test
« on: Tuesday,June 08, 2021, 10:26:42 AM »
wow i just went for a drive on asphalt did some adjustments on the weber dgav before the plugs were black and full of soot the fuel air ratio screw was at 2 turns i put it at 1.5 no more soot the picture of the plug is after 15 minute drive
température gage was at 100 c  but i put a thermostat in the swirl pot 182.3 f 
i need to change shocks they are 50 years old and one tie rod end and inner passenger side bushing
im waiting on my new tires kumho solus ta 175/70r13  and that should be it

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: final adjustment after road test
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 08:36:48 AM »
Congrats. Must feel great to get out on the road. Run it through a few heat cycles, check and tighten things, and then a good, long day drive should be in your future.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »
thanks i concentrated on engine and transmission but after going for  20 miles road test i noticed a few little things that need to be fixed  on steering and suspension but wow it was like driving a go kart
it was fantastic

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »
Congratulations!

First ride is always very exciting.  My first ride I didn't even have the doors or windshield in.  Second ride, still no doors, but very little turbulence in the cockpit at 80 mph!

Plug colour is not a reliable indiction of whether then mixture is correct.  I really recommend using an Air/Fuel ratio gauge: no goes work, no surprises.

Lotus Europas are 98% cars.  The last 2% you are always working on.  You're successful so the 2%n is always changing.  Sometimes it's a necessary (light bulb, wipers, etc), sometime just a want (better ventilation, extra lights, etc) but there is always something left to do.  I like that myself.  Makes the car more engaging, and the connection interesting and personal.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 03:35:36 AM »
hi JB  i did go up to 60 mph  and like you say there’s always something to fix or improve witch i think is what make this car so much fun