Author Topic: new member - 3673R - Asheville NC  (Read 1801 times)

Offline jth-3673R

new member - 3673R - Asheville NC
« on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »
Hi folks!  A few weeks ago I traded a non-running '99 Miata for a '74 Europa Special (#3673R) - in much need of love!  I had bought the Miata in hopes of a quick flip but after solving the obvious issues, it had me stumped.  A good friend, who specializes in miatas and subarus at his shop has an uncle looking to find new homes to a few Europas so we worked a trade. 

My friend and his dad hauled the car up from FL and dropped it off and picked up the miata... and then the fun began!

As for myself, this is my 3rd Lotus - my first was an '06 Exige that I had for 2 months before a kid decided to use my lane to get around a corner on the mountain and total the car.  I had a passenger and the other drive was alone and the cars were the only ones to suffer.

Then a few months after the loss of the first Exige, I managed to get a replacement - another '06 but this time a previous owner had installed a supercharger and tuned to 250 hp.

Before I got into Lotus, I was more an RX-7/rotary.  I've had a few of the 3rd and 2nd generation rx7s - still currently have 1 3rd gen with a 3-rotor swap and RE-Amemiya body kit (and previously a v8)

so that's a little about me and previous cars...

« Last Edit: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:07:15 AM by jth-3673R »

Offline jth-3673R

Re: new member - 3673R - Asheville NC
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 08:55:55 AM »
Now let's talk about the Europa!!!  I do have a thread on Lotus Talk about the project, but I may migrate over here to be the main thread, if not, I will hopefully remember to post updates over here very now and then.

Here is a quick rundown of what I knew within a few min of getting the car:
  • Needs a chassis - front left lower control arm is dragging on the ground due to rust!
  • Needs passenger door - the one it had busted in transit from FL to NC
  • was parked running!!!! like 35 yrs ago...
  • gas tanks are gone
  • transmission does seem to still shift! it is the 5-spd
  • driver's seat slider doesn't work, I can't reach the pedals at the moment!
  • has 1 mismatched wheel

The plan is a resto-mod, I'm hoping to get a new chassis from Spyder Cars.  I've emailed them and has my gf message them on Facebook.  I've not received any replies so in the next week or so I plan to call them in hopes of discussing sending them lots of money!  I'm really interested in pretty much just getting a rolling chassis with rear disk brakes minus wheels/tires from them, but we shall see what happens when I call.

So now enjoy a few pics from day 1

Offline jth-3673R

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:03:56 AM »
And I've begun the tear down - removing seats with the help of a cutoff wheel and removed the dash this morning.

When I started, I pulled the cushions... and well, I should say a vacuum and cutoff wheels are how I got the seats out

with a little work, the windshield came out - it's not broken, but it's not too pretty either

A little more background on the car I've learned is that yes, it started out as Regency Red but my friend's dad who owned the car before his brother painted it white (sometime before '85)  The car was parked because his wife was pregnant (with my friend) and could no longer fit in the car.  And he also did a battery relocation to the front.

** The engine and transmission are original to the car!!!
« Last Edit: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:08:18 AM by jth-3673R »

Offline gideon

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:12:03 AM »
 :Welcome: jth-3673R

That should keep you out of mischief for at least a week or two.  Good luck, and keep us posted.

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:14:23 AM »
Also - be careful with the windshield.  They're expensive to replace in the US now.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »
Welcome!  Sounds like an interesting project.  Spyder can supply a chassis to suit a Ford Zetec engine which also bolts up to the transaxle you have.

Offline jth-3673R

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »
Also - be careful with the windshield.  They're expensive to replace in the US now.
Unfortunately I have a feeling I'll end up biting the bullet and replacing it - mainly for aesthetic purposes.  The safety film is shrinking/bubbled/ in the corners - and it just looks horrible so it would clash with new paint when the time comes.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
 :Welcome:  I suspect you may be here for some time.....

You've found the right place to get your questions answered. I'm sure there will be some.

Richard.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 09:29:54 AM »
Welcome! I am quite familiar with using the angry grinder, sawzall, hack saw etc as most of the parts on my TCS were stuck from rust. I am currently repairing the T-section of my chassis. You can see some of the challenges you may face in my thread " Europa TCST ".  The second T is for turbo...
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 10:55:21 AM »
Thanks for the excellent introduction, I will read with interest your progress. You are about to embark on a journey that is very well supported on this Forum and I can guarantee, from first hand experience, that any problem you face or any advice you need, will be found on this platform.
You are unfortunately going to face a very expensive rebuild on your car - as it is missing the ashtray  :)) :)) :))     

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 04:59:28 PM »
 :Welcome:  jth-3673R!!!

I used to frequent Lotus Talk. It was nice but they really cater to the newer cars. I think it's good that you landed here! We love hearing about, helping with, and watching the progress of project and you have got yourself a project!

I can't really tell but I suspect you'll be able to fix the door. If you're unfamiliar with doing fiberglass work, it's pretty easy. Hell, even I did a bunch on my car and it hasn't fallen off yet! When you get the door off, post some pictures so we can see for sure. It's almost always possible.

I think you're going about it the right way. Spyder makes a great frame with some cool add-on bits like rear A-arm suspension!

Lastly, I second JB's suggestion to look into a Zetec swap. Not that I have anything against the twin cam motor, but there are a lot of options with the Zetec and they are relatively inexpensive. Lots of people have done that swap so you'll be able to get lots of help. Also, rebuilding a TC is not an inexpensive proposition.

Glad you made it here! We're all waiting for future progress reports... AND PICTURES!!

Offline jth-3673R

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 05:15:42 PM »
:Welcome:  jth-3673R!!!

I used to frequent Lotus Talk. It was nice but they really cater to the newer cars. I think it's good that you landed here! We love hearing about, helping with, and watching the progress of project and you have got yourself a project!

I can't really tell but I suspect you'll be able to fix the door. If you're unfamiliar with doing fiberglass work, it's pretty easy. Hell, even I did a bunch on my car and it hasn't fallen off yet! When you get the door off, post some pictures so we can see for sure. It's almost always possible.

I think you're going about it the right way. Spyder makes a great frame with some cool add-on bits like rear A-arm suspension!

Lastly, I second JB's suggestion to look into a Zetec swap. Not that I have anything against the twin cam motor, but there are a lot of options with the Zetec and they are relatively inexpensive. Lots of people have done that swap so you'll be able to get lots of help. Also, rebuilding a TC is not an inexpensive proposition.

Glad you made it here! We're all waiting for future progress reports... AND PICTURES!!

I was involve with repairing and prepping the body kit on my RX-7 - so I do have a little experience with it.  I do plan to attempt to fix the door, but I have already picked up a spare set from Chris Winfree (TheKid#9) so the resto won't be dependent upon my door repair.

The current plan is to look over the TC engine and hope to use it but if for some reason we determine it's not worth resurrecting then we (my gf and I - she's planning to assist with the project) discuss other options.  I have some Miata 1.6 engines sitting in my basement and I'm very interested in doing something with a Jag AJ30/Mazda KLZE/Ford Duratec 3.0 V6... and I do have a few rotary engines laying around too!!!  but engine weight will also be a considering factor if the car ends up on the path of a swap.

I added international calling to my cell phone so I hope to call Spyder Cars soon and discuss with them cost of getting what I want and getting to my house - I know I'm looking a few £1000 in parts/chassis - just need to see how crazy shipping would be!!!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 05:43:38 PM »
 :Welcome:

JTH,
  Can’t wait to watch your progress here, remember to post often with plenty of pics, it’s your build.
Dakazman

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,June 06, 2021, 01:18:43 AM »
 :Welcome: I love my new Spyder chassis, brakes and suspension. Smart move to call them as they are slow in replying to email. Be prepared for a wait in getting the parts once ordered. Time difference usually means calling them while having breakfast. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Sandy

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #14 on: Sunday,June 06, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum. It’s the best place to rebuild a Europa. The Spyder set up will be killer. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor