Author Topic: Oil pump  (Read 298 times)

Offline Pete

Oil pump
« on: Tuesday,May 04, 2021, 03:56:53 PM »
Is it normal for the oil pump to tick loud when you turn the key once. It’s a very loud pump clicking noise?
But I noticed today that the engine sounds like it’s running dry of oil. I’m not an expert yet. So still getting used to the noises of a lotus. I’ll record it tomorrow. And share a link to it.
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.

Offline Pete

Re: Oil pump
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 04, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »
Failing that tho. Any recommendations on a new pump?
Europa S2 1970 great car

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 04, 2021, 04:13:03 PM »
The oil pump only runs when the engine runs. Are you sure you are not hearing the fuel pump? Sounds like a previous owner may have installed an electric fuel pump. :confused:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Pete

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 04, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
Ok. You will be right. It will be that I guess. I only thought it was the oil cos the red oil light comes on
Europa S2 1970 great car

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 04, 2021, 10:03:45 PM »
Ditto ^^

Fuel pumps make a ticking sound when you switch on, from  memory the older "SU" types were slow/loud whereas the modern Facet I have fitted is quieter but faster. Have a look around the fuel circuit from tank to carbs and see if there's anything in the line. Generally a cylindrical object (eg SU types)  but the Facet I have is a small cube. There might be an in-line filter before the pump, that's common as well.

Brian

whoops. You're up early.....    I meant "Ditto Lotus Joe"   :)

Offline Pete

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 04, 2021, 10:19:06 PM »
Lol. It’s only 6am. I’m working on my car after work tonight. So doing my research now.  Do I get a good plan in order of what to do. So that I don’t waste time.

Need to finish cleaning the contacts on the electrical system. And find the horn relay if it has one on its air horn like it should.

Also figure why the side lights and driving lights don’t work. But guess that will be a bad ground.
Europa S2 1970 great car

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 05, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
Lol. It’s only 6am. I’m working on my car after work tonight. So doing my research now.  Do I get a good plan in order of what to do. So that I don’t waste time.

Need to finish cleaning the contacts on the electrical system. And find the horn relay if it has one on its air horn like it should.

Also figure why the side lights and driving lights don’t work. But guess that will be a bad ground.

Most electrical issue are the result of bad grounds. Trace your grounds back to where they connect to the chassis. Also you need a good ground from the battery to the chassis and from the engine to the chassis.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,May 05, 2021, 04:22:36 PM »
Go to the light in question.  Test for power and ground.  Fix whatever is absent.

Just so you know, not all electric fuel pumps "click" or "thump" when they run.  Some do, and it can be useful on start up and letting you know when you run out of fuel.  If you do have an electric fuel pump, you should fit a roll-over or impact switch so it shuts off in the event of an accident.