Author Topic: Vintage VW master cylinder use?  (Read 503 times)

Offline TurboFource

Vintage VW master cylinder use?
« on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 02:44:21 PM »
I plan on not using the brake boosters and eliminate the torturous brake line routing they caused.

It looks like a master cylinder with a .750" bore will work? Has anyone used a vintage VW beetle master cylinder?
They are tandem, remote reservoir, .750" bore and inexpensive. The bolt pattern is horizontal but that would be easy for me
to modify at this point as I will be replacing that portion of the T-section very soon.

Thoughts?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Vintage VW master cylinder use?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 05:28:11 PM »
Why a vintage Beetle master cylinder? Unless you have a brand new one sitting on your shelf waiting for a use I would choose an easier 0.75" MC to modify. However, if you're like me and like to tinker with things, I say go for it. Let us know how it works out. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the past used on e on a Europa.
« Last Edit: Friday,April 23, 2021, 05:45:48 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 06:10:33 PM »
A brand new one for a vintage Beetle....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 08:15:40 PM »
True, they are not expensive.  However, they are the only dual-circuit master I know that can fail BOTH circuits at the same time, very scary.  Also 0.75 will give a hard pedal.

I use, and would recommend, a 0.70 master.  The Triumph ones bolt right on.  Buy the OEM ones by Lockheed, they are problem free in my experience.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 03:36:32 AM »
That is scary JB! Did not know that!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 05:51:35 AM »
I agree with the size giving a hard pedal. Hard pedals are harder to modulate. If using a .75" I would move the pivot on the pedal arm.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 07:39:26 AM »
Yup, all cars were single circuit up to the mid-60s.  It’s actually a pretty good system the only addition really required would be a brake fluid level warning light.  Failures due to wear are “friendly” in that the pedal goes soft well before disappearing.  Now, if a rubber hose fails you’re pooched but they give lots of visual clues before failing.

However, maintenance and North Americans never did go together very well so they mandated dual circuits to protect idiots and the clueless.  Generally it’s always the front circuit that fails.  This leaves just the rears, and rears that probably also have been neglected.  Not really any better than the emergency brake so why all the bother?

Anyway, VW single circuit masters all failed in a predictable pattern, giving lots of warning to the owners.  However, when they switched to dual circuit, it all changed.  Everything will be fine and then the pedal will go straight to the floor.  It’s about the most scary thing imaginable.  If you have the presence of mind, you can release the brakes and they may well be normal then.   But that takes incredible mental discipline, usually you just press, uselessly, harder.

All that to say, a VW dual circuit master wouldn’t be my first choice if was converting to dual circuit brakes.  The OEM Triumph masters are good.

Myself?  I stayed single circuit.  Works great.  Bleeding is stupid easy and I just perform regular visual checks.

YMMV
« Last Edit: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 07:41:57 AM by jbcollier »