Author Topic: Need a new jack  (Read 934 times)

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: Need a new jack
« Reply #15 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »
That's not a scissor Jack.  The slot goes round a dream on the sill and it winds up short of like a v on its side.  They are pretty unstable,  I'm not sure where you could safely position it on a Europa. My Ford Galaxy MKII (they were built by VW)  has something similar in steel.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #16 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 12:33:02 PM »
Silver,
Didn't know Ford made a Galaxy anymore....googled it ..... Not what I was expecting
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #17 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 12:53:10 PM »
Mine's a 2005 7 seater people carrier, just approaching 150k miles. I can't use the jack anymore, I dont trust the sill, and the seam it's supposed to go round is only spotwelded and has swollen with the UK weather. With all the back 5 seats out it's an excellent van for moving the kids between rented accomodation/university/home. 600 miles on a tank of diesel and close to 50mpg if you stick to the speed limits on the motorway!

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #18 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 10:52:56 PM »
That's not a scissor Jack.  The slot goes round a dream on the sill and it winds up short of like a v on its side.  They are pretty unstable,  I'm not sure where you could safely position it on a Europa. My Ford Galaxy MKII (they were built by VW)  has something similar in steel.

I said quote:  "a form of aluminum scissor jack" - JB modified his scissor jack to suit the application, this could also. Whilst not something you would want to use in the workshop - it could get you out of trouble whilst out on the road.   

Offline Pete

« Reply #19 on: Sunday,April 25, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »
I’m going to try and repair the original jack.
Just ordered some bearings.
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.