Author Topic: Hood Lift Kit  (Read 1689 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Hood Lift Kit
« Reply #15 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 05:06:23 PM »
If I remember that I have a bad knowledge of the differences between the S2 and the TC, I guess that means I'll forget about the differences between the Federal and non Federal cars!  :headbanger:

SilverBeast, is your car an 'R' car? The parts manual, if I'm reading it correctly (and there's every chance I'm not), seems to say that all the cars have the shoulder belt ties to the upper shock mount but the Federal cars are the ones with the diagonal and horizontal frame, the horizontal frame named "catch tank support" which is a Federal thing.

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/b/tcbk.pdf

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #16 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 10:18:41 PM »
Do the Federal cars have inertia seat belts? If so - this may warrant the mystery frame at the back of the fire wall - my TCS (UK spec) does not have inertia belts - and no frame.   

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #17 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 11:03:36 PM »
This is even more interesting - I have never seen any frame of any description on the rear of the "firewall" on any TC or TCS - is this a federal spec item? My upper shoulder belt fixing is attached to the inside rear  as shown.  :confused:
At the back of the firewall insulation there isn't a proper frame, it's just two bolted tube/struts which go from the rear of the top seatbelt mount to the chassis. It's listed in the TC parts manual under "seat belts" rather than chassis, I don't know if it was a TC modification or also on the S2.

You can see the brace/struts in the first picture, the second is from the parts manual.
Brian

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 04:20:03 AM »
OK I understand that - but - if you look at Exlimey's third photo on his 3rd post there is more than a diagonal brace there at the rear of his firewall .... there is a diagonal and a horizontal section. Do we assume the horizontal section is an additional member as part of his hood gas strut mechanism? If it is, I understand.  :)     

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #19 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 08:33:59 AM »
If it's a Federal TC then I think they had a tank clipped on to that horizontal tube - shown in the second picture. I just assumed that was the OEM horizontal tube and put to better use than for holding a tank for the fuel tank breather ?

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 08:48:17 AM »
As I tried to make clear, that horizontal piece is found on Federal cars and holds a catch tank (not found on non Federal cars). As EuropaTC says, the non Federal cars have only the diagonal frame pieces that go from the ‘Y’ of the frame to the shoulder belt anchor. According to the parts manual page I linked, there are two different “seat belt kits” so it’s likely that one kit has retractors and the other doesn’t.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »
With the engine out of the car, the seat belt bracing system is pretty clear. On my federal car there are four pieces where the seat belt retractor attaches to the firewall to where the braces attach to the chassis. The center rod ties both braces together and is a spot where a large charcoal cannister is mounted. The diagonal brace ties into the "V" section of the chassis. The remaining two braces connect at the wheel well and the end of the second piece ties into the top shock mount and the rear cross beam. It seems all a bit flimsy but I suppose it works well enough to pass the federal safety requirements.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »
Grumblebuns - thankyou  :) - a picture says a thousand words - now I understand.  :headbanger:   

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #23 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 11:46:24 AM »
BDA: Mine is a UK car 2267P

Dilkris: It is a November 73 built TCS.  As a "later" TCS it has inertia reel seatbelts (without the "Seat Belt Warning" that the Federal cars have).  It also has the Champagne/Beige interia trim and carpet with the map pocket between the seats.  The bar across the back is basically the same as that one that the emissions canister on the Federal cars but without the brackets.  Pictures attached, as that's simpler than explaining!

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
SilverBeast - thankyou for the photo's and the trouble you went to in publishing them - perfectly understood now. Chris

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #25 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »
SilverBeast - thankyou for the photo's and the trouble you went to in publishing them - perfectly understood now. Chris

No problem. It gets it out in the sun, and gave me the opportunity to discover it's now leaking petrol from one of the carbs! :headbanger:

Offline BDA

« Reply #26 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
SilverBeast, I’m confused because according to the TC parts manual, that top horizontal frame member (called “catch tank support”) is only on Federal spec cars. Yet, you clearly have that member, though without the bits associated with the catch tank.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #27 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 02:42:06 PM »
SilverBeast, I’m confused because according to the TC parts manual, that top horizontal frame member (called “catch tank support”) is only on Federal spec cars. Yet, you clearly have that member, though without the bits associated with the catch tank.

I'm going to speculate that it was part of the factory engine cover lift kit (and I'm also assuming it is a factory fitted option as I've only had the car a couple of years) as the two bars, that go back to the 4 hole plate the seatbelt top mounting links to, are welded to it. These are the bars the bottom of the gas assist ram mounts to, as can be seen in the pictures.

Offline BDA

« Reply #28 on: Saturday,April 17, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
I think you’re probably right. I don’t believe the parts manual lists the engine cover lifts (I don’t remember ever seeing them anyway) so it makes sense that the horizontal piece you have is part of the lift kit so it wouldn’t be accounted for since the rest of the kit wasn’t either.