Author Topic: Hood Lift Kit  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Exlimey

Hood Lift Kit
« on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 01:14:26 PM »
Well,my first project didn’t go as planned. On my trip home from collecting the car I collected,among other things,a hood lift kit. I have now figured that these do not fit a type 74 ,only ,according to pictures I find,the earlier cars. The cross bar is fine. The two support bars I had to fab, a piece of tube,cut in half ,and a length of 1” flat bar,and of course,some wrinkle finish paint. Welded it up, painted, all is good. Pic is of originals and my creations. Also a comparison with my 2002 Mini , first month of production,much faster than a Europa!

Offline Exlimey

Re: Hood Lift Kit
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 01:15:44 PM »
Missed other photos

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 01:17:20 PM »
Ok,how do I attach more than one photo,each one I add deletes the previous one?

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
After you have added the first one click the "more attachments" link below the file dialog and you get another to add a second one etc

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 04:35:09 PM »
The other thing to consider is the file size.  "Thumbnails "  are the best for multiple pictures.
Sandy

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 10:11:36 PM »
That's a very neat looking fabrication, every time I see one I think "that's something I ought to do". 

I suppose it's getting the correct struts that keep putting me off, by any chance do you have the ratings for the lifting struts ?

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 07:19:46 AM »
Here is a link to instructions for making your own engine cover lift. It lists the specs for the struts: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/body/struts/hoodproject.html

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »
Here is a link to instructions for making your own engine cover lift. It lists the specs for the struts: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/body/struts/hoodproject.html

Oh, well done that man. I've not seen that article and it's on a twink as well !  I'm surprised at 20lb but I suppose it's the working angle that matters. I think I can source something similar over here.

Cheers !  :beerchug:

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »
I made my own and found 20lb struts a little light.  Went to 30lb struts and it was fine.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 12:46:10 PM »
Ok,how do I attach more than one photo,each one I add deletes the previous one?

This is interesting - you appear to have some kind of spaceframe to the rear of your firewall for which you use as a secondary mounting for your gas strut support arm. Can you show further pictures of this?

All other system I've seen use a frame that is attached via various means to the engine cover opening (body).   

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4447.0;attach=33128

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »
Not being an S2 guy, I'm not sure when the "spaceframe" you mentioned came into being. From a short search of the parts manuals, it appears they started with the TCs. It's main purpose is to mount the upper shoulder belt. I would have thought that the S2 would have had something similar but like I said, I don't know much about the S2s. I don't remember which model you have so it may be that you don't have the frame that runs across the firewall.

As far as I know, all the schemes for engine prop struts tie into the front of the engine bay somehow. For example, the kit that Richard developed attached to the corner of the rain gutter.

I got Richard's kit but was confused by it so I made some changes. I posted what I did here: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2486.msg23618#msg23618. The square aluminum extrusions I used were designed to pick up the cross tube on the firewall but I think that square tubing is stiff enough that you might not  need to anchor it in the front.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #11 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »
Not being an S2 guy, I'm not sure when the "spaceframe" you mentioned came into being. From a short search of the parts manuals, it appears they started with the TCs. It's main purpose is to mount the upper shoulder belt. I would have thought that the S2 would have had something similar but like I said, I don't know much about the S2s. I don't remember which model you have so it may be that you don't have the frame that runs across the firewall.

This is even more interesting - I have never seen any frame of any description on the rear of the "firewall" on any TC or TCS - is this a federal spec item? My upper shoulder belt fixing is attached to the inside rear  as shown.  :confused:

I also note on "Exlimey's" photo that someone has also covered the engine side of the firewall with what appears to be a polished sheet of some description (aluminum?) - whilst I personally think it looks great, previous threads on this topic suggest that it will act as a great drum skin to amplify engine noise inside the cabin.....  ;)

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #12 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 03:47:30 PM »
This pic is not my car,but the same. Inside the wheel well there is a matching square plate with a rod leading back to the top of the shock mount. Basically any pull on the seatbelt mounting is transferred through to the frame at the upper shock mount . As for the aluminum sheet,I am waiting to get some miles in,you will have to ask Roger.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #13 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
My UK TCS has the same frame behind the (jute?) Firewall. It also has the factory lift kit ( at least I think its factory).  I replaced the struts after I got it with the ones from Banks, though these have metric threads so don't screw into the welded on nuts at the bottom end.

As well as having a bar pop riveted across the engine cover that the top of the struts mount to, it also has two other metal u section bars that are clamped by the hinge bolts and extend to the aforementioned bar to which they are welded. I assume this was to take some of the stress off the lid.

I'll take some photos tomorrow if I get chance.

Richard

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #14 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 03:56:11 PM »
My UK TCS has the same frame behind the (jute?) Firewall. It also has the factory lift kit ( at least I think its factory).  I replaced the struts after I got it with the ones from Banks, though these have metric threads so don't screw into the welded on nuts at the bottom end.

I'll take some photos tomorrow if I get chance.

Richard

Thanks Richard - I'd really like to see a photo of that frame behind the firewall - what year is your TCS?