Author Topic: Timing chain again  (Read 359 times)

Offline JNS

Timing chain again
« on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 06:43:35 AM »
Well I thought I had a split link in my chain but it's endless. Its also at the limit of the chain ajuster.
Can it be changed by pressing out a link and feeding a new chain around the cogs then peening over the link as my local garage man says, or is it an engine out job?
 Thanks in advance #
Jeff

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Timing chain again
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 08:30:12 AM »
Hi Jeff,
Yes, I would think it's quite practical to feed a chain around as you describe. It would probably need the distributor re-timing though ? It's definitely not an engine out job, at the very worst it would be dropping the sump and that would only be if somehow you couldn't get the chain links on the crankshaft.

I don't know about peening the rivet in situ, I've always used a split link chain, but there's nothing to stop you replacing yours with a split link if you'd prefer one.

Brian

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 08:32:33 AM »
I think you can buy a timing chain with a removable link.  Removing your existing chain would be as simple as cutting a link.  I am not too comfortable with making your own removable link, as your garage man says

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
I have changed a number of chains in situ using chains with a removeable link.  No problems.

Offline JNS

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,April 04, 2021, 04:28:53 AM »
Thanks everyone. I think thats the way to go. Can the sump be dropped without moving the engine? There seems to be two crossmembers in the way underneath, one unbolts the other is welded. It's a Spyder chassis so not original.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,April 04, 2021, 08:48:06 AM »
Can the sump be dropped without moving the engine? There seems to be two crossmembers in the way underneath, one unbolts the other is welded. It's a Spyder chassis so not original.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with the Spyder chassis although I do think they design their kit with maintenance in mind.  I have one of theirs on my Elan and that has a bolted on crossmember which can be removed to allow the sump to drop whereas the Lotus OEM chassis is welded in place and needs the engine lifting for such a job.

Back to Europa - on the standard car you can get the sump out without moving the engine.  However I would only do that if you can't thread the chain around and as a last resort.  To remove the sump on the TC you need the flywheel shield removing & starter motor before you can see all the bolts. Depending on how close your exhaust is to the rear of the sump pan, you might also need that coming off.

It's not as quick a job as it sounds although there's nothing complex involved, just undoing nuts & bolts.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,April 04, 2021, 09:14:22 AM »
Why would you drop the sump?

Clamp the chain to each cam sprocket

Back off the chain adjuster

Cut one link between the two sprockets

Attach the new chain to the exhaust cam side

Put the car in fourth

Remove the clamps

While pushing the car forward, also use a wrench on the intake cam to keep it moving

Once the chain is wound through, attach the two new ends

Adjust the tension and check the timing marks on the sprockets

Push the engine through 4 more revolutions and check the chain tension and cam timing again

Now check the ignition timing.

You're done.

At some points, an extra pair of hands would probably be useful.

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,April 04, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »
BE VERY CAREFUL not to allow the chains to jump off ther cam wheels, it really does need 2 people, one of pull out the old chain out & keep the new chains on the sprockets, the other underneath the car turning the crank with a 3/4 or 19mm socket
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it