Author Topic: TCS Gear Linkage Access  (Read 461 times)

Offline Dilkris

TCS Gear Linkage Access
« on: Friday,March 26, 2021, 12:45:41 AM »
After what seems like many years of refurbishing/rebuilding/locating and purchasing individual components for this restoration I am finally in a position to start bolting items back onto the chassis. (Note: this is obviously a body off restoration)
I have not as yet look closely at the external gear lever linkage, (365 Transaxle), this is one of the last items on the "possibly problematic to do" list and my question is:-

"With the engine/transaxle and water coolant pipes in position and the rear suspension/driveshafts not yet installed, can I easily insert the gear lever linkage through the chassis backbone - or does this HAVE to be installed beforehand?"

My reason for asking is that I just want to see the power train back in the chassis (for the first time in some 20 years....) to sort of cheer myself up..... ;D ;D           

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: TCS Gear Linkage Access
« Reply #1 on: Friday,March 26, 2021, 02:18:40 AM »
Yes, but it helps if you have skinny arms !

Manipulating the linkage around the engine bay area is straightforward but getting it down the tunnel is more difficult. 

But it is definitely possible, I've removed mine (352 box) which is essentially the same as you have there and replaced it after doing the end joint.  The difficulty comes where it snags on things inside the tunnel such as handbrake and the central spine itself. 

I sat inside the car and dragged it through from the access holes in the top of the spine, no great problem but I have skinny (read "weedy") arms.  As I say, mine was removed/replaced with everything connected up but it's obviously easier with an empty engine bay.

Brian

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #2 on: Friday,March 26, 2021, 05:44:12 AM »
I sat inside the car and dragged it through from the access holes in the top of the spine, no great problem but I have skinny (read "weedy") arms. 
Brian

Thanks Brian - my body will still be off when I come to finally install the linkage - so this should help a bit no ?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Friday,March 26, 2021, 06:32:10 AM »
Body off will help a great deal.  Still tight and finicky but much easier to get at it.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Friday,March 26, 2021, 10:51:31 AM »
Think I'll "pull the trigger" and go for it - I just want to see something that looks like a car in the workshop as opposed to pieces all over the place..... :)

Offline Kendo

« Reply #5 on: Friday,March 26, 2021, 12:03:17 PM »
I have never removed the engine, but have had the 365 linkage out a few times, most recently to replace the tophats. You do have to remove the spacer plate (holds the ball joint up front) in order to get the shift lever to make the turn up into the passenger area. But that is probably one of the easiest things you'll do on the restoration :)