Author Topic: Chassis questions....  (Read 701 times)

Offline TurboFource

Chassis questions....
« on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 05:01:50 PM »
What purpose does the pad on the chassis backbone serve (besides absorbing and retaining moisture)? It does not appear to be compressed like it was supporting the body...

Has anyone painted inside their chassis? Any hints on how you did so?

Thanks!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Pfreen

Re: Chassis questions....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 05:29:12 PM »
I treated the inside of the frame with Ospho from a pressurized sprayer.  I thoroughly dried the inside of the frame with a hair dryer for a couple of days.

Then, I sprayed the Eastwood product which sprays the paint 360 degrees from the end of a tube.  https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html.  The included tube was not long enough so I used a similiar diameter hose from the hardware store.  It wasn't too difficult.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 05:38:37 PM »
Thanks PFreen!

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 05:58:03 PM »
I assume you’re talking about the pad on the ‘T’. That being the case, I assume it’s to provide some support and maybe eliminate some squeaks.

IIRC, there is a triangular pad that sits on the vertex of the legs of the frame in front of the motor. That is for the same reason but is more obviously useful.

I don’t think I replaced all of the jute padding except the triangular piece I just mentioned with closed cell neoprene foam. I got mine from a local rubber dealer (IIRC 3/8” thick) but r.d. enterprises also sells that or similar.

As for painting the inside of the frame, I probably sprayed it as best I could. Maybe you could find a small spray gun that you can operate while you hold it inside the frame. You might check out and undercoating outfit. And then there’s this method: in one of my engineering classes when we were learning about corrosion resistance methods like material selection, plating, painting, a test question was how to protect the inside of fabricated hollow beam 12’ long. A lot of us tried to come up with some clever, high tech way to do it but the answer was to prop up the beam on one end and pour paint down the inside!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 06:53:45 PM »
The triangular piece of padding is the only one that looks like it supported anything like you mention BDA, that is the only padding you reinstalled?

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »
Other than replacing the jute with the closed cell foam and keeping that triangular piece (because I didn't think I could replicate that easily and mine was in good shape), I replicated the piece on the 'T' with two or three layers of closed cell foam but I didn't get the impression that it actually did anything and I wished had added another layer.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »
Original S1s are quite noisy what with the body being directly attached to the chassis.  I rode in an S2 and was amazed at how quiet it was.  I wear a noise cancelling headset in mine on long trips.

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 11:38:59 PM »
On my old XAF309J S2 I found the full backbone pad in good nick. When I replaced the chassis with a sydersport one I reused this same saddle of sound insulation.....I remember it was quite a snug fit...

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,March 27, 2021, 05:04:19 AM »
Since I have to replace the bottom of the T-section is there any value in using thicker gauge metal, does this area flex when you you push in the clutch or brakes?

Since my pedals were rusted out and the seat wouldn't move, is there plenty of seat travel for someone my height (5'8") to easily reach the pedals? I don't like my legs to be straight out when using clutch, brake etc.    I could move the pedals at this point if needed...

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,March 27, 2021, 08:05:33 AM »
Turbo, pedals and seat tracks are available from RD ENT. I replaced both so others can enjoy the Europa.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,March 27, 2021, 08:10:32 AM »
I think the real crucial area is the vertical joining of the 'T' to the backbone. I think it might be nice to put thicker steel at the end of the 'T' to protect it when resting the car on stands.

You should be ok with the stock seat/pedal arrangement. There is quite a lot of adjustment available in the seats. You might want to do some test fits to make sure though. Remember if you move your pedals back, you'll have to extend that tab on the 'T' that the pedals bolt into.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,March 27, 2021, 09:16:55 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Offline gideon

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,March 27, 2021, 09:20:55 AM »
About the seat adjustment and pedal position - if I recall correctly Colin Chapman was about 5'8" tall.  The same as you.  'Nuff said.