Author Topic: Adjusting the reverse lock out for a 365 transmission  (Read 1101 times)

Offline jpane

Adjusting the reverse lock out for a 365 transmission
« on: Monday,March 15, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »
I mentioned this in another post, but need to get more specific in the topic heading.
When I slide the shifter over to the left, it stops at the reverse detent. If I want reverse I have to push (slam really) through further left. If the shifter is resting at that detent, I used to be able to move the shifter forward into first gear. But, since putting everything back together, I have to jog slightly to the right before it moves forward into first.
I have a modified middle shift pivot, as shown here: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/ahines/transaxle.html
Can that jog to the right I mentioned be eliminated by adjusting those Heim joints pictured in the link above.
Thanks very much for the help and patience.
John

Offline buzzer

Re: Adjusting the reverse lock out for a 365 transmission
« Reply #1 on: Monday,March 15, 2021, 03:20:16 PM »
I presume you are using the lotus reverse ident that bolts on the back of the box. I believe the joggle you refer to is the alignment of the reverse detent ball in that you pass past the gate for first before hitting the detent. I think your detent needs adjusting. I found adjusting was a mix of moving the detent position and playing with the spring pressure. You need to make sure the bore in the detent unit is smooth and a good fit with the ball, any scoring with cause problems in jamming.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jpane

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 08:33:32 AM »
Buzzer,
I don't have access to the car right now, still at the shop, finishing things up. I will look at adjusting when I get it back, but am puzzled about what adjustment is available. The detent is held on its shaft by a pin, so it's a fixed position unless you redrill it. That doesn't seem useful, because the amount of adjustment is so small, the new hole for the pin would overlap the existing hole. The housing for the ball and spring is held by two bolts. I think these go into holes on the back cover, so again, no adjustment. I'm hoping that my memory is faulty, and the holes for the housing bolts are eccentric, allowing movement, but I doubt it.
I mentioned my problem to Ray, at RD, and he seemed to think I could adjust by moving the Heim joint(s) at the middle pivot. So that will probably be what I have to try.
Thanks,
John

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 10:24:47 AM »
I don't have a car with a reverse detent but, it's easy to redrill.  Don't use the existing holes.  Line up everything and drill a completely new hole, say 90° to the old one.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
There is some movement with the existing holes and you could enlarge them slightly. I did on mine to give the adjustment. I actually cut the spring down a bit to reduce the pressure. Also I slightly added a radius to  the top edges of detent cam that pins on the shaft just help the ball roll over the detent. It’s not an easy adjustment and takes a lot of fettling to get it right. Once you get the position right play with the spring pressure.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jpane

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »
JB and Buzzer  I now realize that you mean to redrill both the cam and the shaft to get the proper alignment.

Buzzer:  I will check out all the suggestions you made, including the spring pressure. I have a vague memory that someone on the old Yahoo Europa Group posted a description, and possibly a drawing, of grinding the "ears of the detent cam. So I will search some mor efor that.

Best wishes,
John

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 07:53:49 PM »
The middle pivot using the two 1/4” heim joints is my design.  I have not had the problem you are experiencing but I suggest you adjust the length of the 1/2” heim joint - it will take a few trials to get it right.  According to the Lotus shop manual (figure 5 on page 4 of Section F Transmission) there is a dimension of 2.75” from the stock rubber bushing centerline to the 1/2” heim joint centerline.  This dimension is different for my design but I can’t say what it is as it is trial & error.  There is no adjustment on the 5th gear lockout cam.”

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 08:03:21 PM »
Here are the drawings for the 'Middle Pivot".

Tom

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 08:06:39 PM »
OK - here are the other two drawings.

Tom

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 08:09:32 PM »
If you want to modify the pivot at the bottom end of the gear shift lever, this is what I did.  And yes, it transmits vibration, but the shifting is very precise.

Tom

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,March 16, 2021, 08:19:52 PM »
By moving the any of the three 1/2" long x 11/16" O.D. spacers that are shown below the pivot bearing to above the pivot bearing, you can alter the shift lever 'throw' - longer or shorter to suit your desire.  The throw can be varied from 3.52" (stock) to as little as 1.29" - the throw being the distance you need to move the shift lever knob to go from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th.  With all of the spacers below the pivot bearing, the throw is 1.29" - kinda sort.

Tom

Offline jpane

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,March 17, 2021, 06:51:15 AM »
Tom,
Thanks for the tip on adjusting the 1/2" Heim joint.
Also thanks for all the creative mods to the linkage.
John

Currently           4158R
Formerly owned 4339R

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,March 17, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
Some very interesting mods there, Tom. I am quite intrigued. Thanks for sharing.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,March 17, 2021, 03:22:18 PM »
Attached is a photo of what I did to the shift connection at the rear of the 365 gearbox.  The bolt is 5/16" dia.  I hack sawed the slot so tightening up the bolt would close the Y-joint onto the shift shaft.  This eliminates all play at this point.

Tom
TCS - 4605R