Author Topic: s2 1969 which mirrors?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline mike alain

• 5 years to build (with help)
s2 1969 which mirrors?
« on: Friday,March 05, 2021, 05:52:23 AM »
Well I'm  sanding rite now and paint in about a month, I'm in no rush and thinking of buying  door or fender mirrors from china, cheap mirrors(ebay) and I do not care, this car will never
be outside at nite(insurance reasons) or in rain,  I can wait the 45 days and like free shipping,  so has anyone bought these china mirrors ?  if so which ones? and where are they
mounted?   fender or door,   really need some input and trying to save a few $$$,  spent enough on this resto  already, (way over $2,000)   Thanks

Offline BDA

Re: s2 1969 which mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,March 05, 2021, 06:33:34 AM »
The original mirrors were Sebring mirrors and were located on the doors. The passenger side mirror was just for looks since you couldn’t see it well enough to use it. Some people, especially the Japanese, liked to mount mirrors on the fenders.

With the limited rearward vision, good mirrors are essential. I don’t know your style preferences but I think the flag style mirrors give a good view and can be located on the doors so they are both useful. I think Vitaloni is a good brand but there are LOTS of options.

I should note that, for the TC at least, the interior mirror, as small as it is, does a very good job and is my primary mirror. You can get convex clip-on mirrors to enhance its usefulness (and I have one) but I could easily live without it.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #2 on: Friday,March 05, 2021, 09:16:50 AM »
I followed JB's example and added convex racing mirrors. Great visability and added safety. Under $30 per from Summit Racing. Agreed that they are not period.
Sandy

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Friday,March 05, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
Yep, as BDA says, a door  mounted mirror works on the drivers side but due to the angle between your head and the quarter light on the other side it is hard to get a good view.

I currently have the bullet style mirrors on my car which have a small pedestal to lift them away from the door skin.  This is better than the mirror housing mounted directly on to the door but still not good enough to give a clear view from the passenger side.  I've improved it for reversing by modifying the angle for the actual mirror inside the housing and you can also get a convex mirror replacement.  For normal driving though, it's not much use although the drivers side is ok.  Again as BDA says, the internal mirror is very good and gives a wide view.

The Vitaloni California (or a rip-off copy) looks a good bet with the integral pedestal if you want a door mirror. I bought some cheap plastic copies from Thailand which does work but looked cheap'n'nasty so they ended up in the bin. 

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #4 on: Friday,March 05, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »
I’ve got the Vitaloni California’s mounted on the doors, take a bit of careful positioning but I can see backwards just fine out of either side, might help that I have one piece door glass as the division between the quarter light and drop glass may compromise the view on a standard window setup? Have seen them fitted on plenty of other Europas though.
As mentioned, the internal mirror is very useful.

Offline BobW

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,March 07, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »
I can imagine that the exterior mirrors installed depended on the export location (they would have been different for Japan), and that the mirrors might have been installed by the importing distributer. A picture of completed cars waiting for shipment at the factory might be helpful. I remember no regulatory requirement for an outside mirror in the late 1960s in Canada. My Canadian car was supplied new with a single black mirror mounted on the top of the drivers' side fender.

Don't underestimate the size of the blind spot to the rear three-quarters, especially on the driver's side, thanks to the sail. An outside mirror on the driver's side is essential for pulling out of a parking spot and for changing lanes to the left. Mine is set to cover this blind spot. I've never felt the need for a passenger's side mirror but others may disagree. 

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #6 on: Sunday,March 07, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
My Dad took this pic at one of the factory open days, either ‘69, ‘70 or ‘71.

His ‘71 S2 didn’t have an exterior mirror supplied with it new.

Offline BobW

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,March 07, 2021, 11:18:31 AM »
My Dad took this pic at one of the factory open days, either ‘69, ‘70 or ‘71.

His ‘71 S2 didn’t have an exterior mirror supplied with it new.
Thanks, so likely installed (or not!) by the importer. Mike, the Canadian importer in 1969/70 was Bill Brack, an Ontario racer of some note. My car was supplied by his Toronto dealership Sports Cars Unlimited. I suspect that its mirror's position on the fender reflected his view (sorry) of the optimum location for covering the blind spot. If your car is originally Canadian it would have come through him.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Sunday,March 14, 2021, 12:21:56 AM »
Hi again,

After reading about JR73's comments on Vitaloni California mirrors, I've had another try at them.

It seems things have changed, at least on Ebay UK and there's quite a few vendors offering both genuine and replica mirrors at prices ranging from under £30 to over £130 a pair.  I put a few in my watch list and looked hard at the photos but frankly I couldn't see a lot of difference. They all seemed to be a fairly thick plastic housing with the same mirror dimensions. Some have stickers, some don't.

One seller (who I've bought from previously) had both genuine & "alternative" mirrors in their shop as well as spare parts.  They claimed that the spare parts fitted both genuine & alternative offerings and that they were identical.

You're all car nuts here so you know what's coming next.....  I bought a pair.  Prompted by one of the sellers I was watching who made a "buy mine" offer of a few quid off, I thought I'd give it another go. 

And yes, they fit fine so thanks to JR73 for your comments. 

These are the cheaper end but much neater than the ones I bought years ago. Field of vision is much improved over the round bullet style mirrors they replaced and the passenger side is a lot better now. 

The only mod I made was to re-drill the mounting point for the plinth that holds the mirror inside the housing.  This wasn't really needed but to get the angle required on the passenger side the mirror edge was just proud of the housing at the outer edges, and I didn't like that.  So I moved the whole mirror assembly 3mm or so further inside the housing to cover the edge. The drivers side mirror was fine as supplied.

If you are fitting from scratch then that mod probably won't be necessary because you will be able to adjust the base position to exactly where you want. Having had a couple of previous door mirrors on since I painted the car I was restricted in how much I could move/angle the base and still cover the previous holes.  I'm probably not going to fill the old holes and paint the door anytime soon !

Brian

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,March 14, 2021, 04:21:13 AM »
That’s good to hear Brian  :beerchug:

Also useful to know that the cheaper versions are much the same as the more expensive ones with interchangeable parts.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #10 on: Monday,April 12, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »
Prompted by one of the sellers I was watching who made a "buy mine" offer of a few quid off

Hi Brian, do you have a link to the seller you bought them from?
Cheers,
Richard

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,April 13, 2021, 12:16:15 AM »
Hi Richard,
I looked back and something weird is going on. The sale was (I thought) from a UK supplier on 8th March & delivered on 11th March. I don't remember international postage on the box, but when I  look now it seems the seller is in China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ipp/352898857633?transactionId=1230271751022&_trksid=p2047675.l48352

I was watching a few ranging from £30 to £60 and these were originally somewhere around £30, the offer was £28 delivered.  The same seller now has them up at £35 but there are plenty which look identical and even cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Pair-Universal-Car-Classic-Retro-Door-Wing-Side-Mirror-Rearview-Rat-Rod-Blue/352898857633

I was planning on buying from JCRaceandRally (?) at £50-ish but what swung this one was the blue tinted mirrors, silly I know but for some reason I fancied the idea and at that money I thought I'd take a chance.

I'll get a photo if you want to see how they look on the car ?

Brian

Offline GavinT

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,April 13, 2021, 07:54:37 AM »
Brian,
Not just blue, but "Rat-Rod-Blue" !

Your secret is safe with us.  ;D

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,April 13, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »
Brian,
Not just blue, but "Rat-Rod-Blue" !

Your secret is safe with us.  ;D

I'm just "down with the kids" y'know.....    8)   

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,April 13, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »
Try MELUN RETRO PASSION in France. 37 Euro for the chrome Sebring.