Author Topic: Sun roof - advice  (Read 893 times)

Offline John R

Sun roof - advice
« on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 07:40:26 AM »
Hi
I'm currently half way through restoring my 1973 TC Special.  intend to tackle the body shortly but as it currently has a sun roof fitted I'm uncertain whether to return it to orginal (no sun roof) or just replace it with a new one? In particular, I'm wondering if keeping the sun roof will reduce its value? If not can antone recommend a replacement sun roof supplier?
Thanks in advance
John

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
Re: Sun roof - advice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 07:53:34 AM »
It’s more a case of whether you would prefer a sunroof or not? - Your car.

If you decide to delete it then I would recommend getting a full roof section rather than trying to fill the section that has been removed, it may not seem like it but it will be easier and give a better finish that won’t show over time.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 08:55:52 AM »
I would recommend getting a full roof section rather than trying to fill the section that has been removed, it may not seem like it but it will be easier and give a better finish that won’t show over time.
Definitely !

I once had a Marcos that I decided would look better without it's sun roof so I took it out and attempted to form a template & fill the hole. It took me ages to do, never looked right and a few years later I ended up putting the sunroof back before I finally sold the car.  A roof section sounds a much better idea !

Brian

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 09:01:27 AM »
I was wondering about this as my car has a sunroof also. I also have the section that was removed, so all that is missing is the thickness of a sawblade. I believe this can be replaced. I am going to wait until car is on road to see if I like the sunroof or not (will be doing paint and bodywork last in case funds run short......)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
Before I really started on my car, I bought a sunroof kit but it ate up a bit of headroom (which is at a premium for me) and the sunroof wouldn’t fit in either trunk so if I were to be surprised by some rain, I would get wet! I ended up selling it.

Just some things to think about.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
"Sun-Roof", "Moon-Roof", either makes me roll my eyes!
Long ago I knew a guy who bought a brand new MGB Roadster, then he got a removable hard-top for it, and had a sun-roof fitted to the hard-top.  ::)
Maybe I'm the only one who does not see the sense of that?
And they tend to leak!

Offline John R

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 10:17:25 PM »
Many thanks for all the advice. I'm inclined to replace the section but wasn't able to locate a supplier for a new roof sectin. Any suggestions? Cheers

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 10:56:13 PM »
I'd give Richard at Banks a call, he supplies bodyshells so is probably a reliable source. The other one is a place in Norfolk, Boss Motors, and they even have a Europa shell on their facebook page !

https://www.facebook.com/Boss-motors-1852531295061863/

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #8 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 04:43:05 PM »
My car originally came with a California Customs sunroof as well.
When I redid the car in 2017, I was not sure.  I did install a new Sunroof.  It is a Webasto.  A 321M, which is an electric sunroof.  It required filling in the roof section by about 3", because it was slightly shallower depthwise than the original.

I attached a photo.

It works fine, but my car also has ac, so the sunroof is not needed for ventilation.

In retrospect, I would not fit a sunroof.  It is noisy and smelly.  Sometimes that is good, but generally not.

I attached a photo for reference.  It fit pretty darn well and I think it looks nice.  It does not leak, so it is not a problem.

Offline Yellowbelly

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 08:47:50 AM »
I have a sunroof replacement panel I would be willing to let go as I am happy with the sunroof in mine.