Author Topic: WTB Reverse Detent Housing- Still Looking  (Read 747 times)

Offline jpane

WTB Reverse Detent Housing- Still Looking
« on: Tuesday,January 12, 2021, 07:53:53 AM »
I cannot seem to find the Reverse Detent Housing (B074F0212Z) for my TCS, 4158R, with a 5-speed (365).  I have checked with RD and Dave Bean, and neither has one. I have sent an email to Banks, but have not heard back. I have a vague recollection from long ago that he is not good about emails. I have searched my barn multiple times, but have not found it. Any suggestions for other places to try? Or anyone have one they don't need? I will post in the Classified as well.
If I remember correctly, it is fairly simple piece that holds the spring and ball against the Reverse Indent Cam. I wonder if it could be 3D printed if an example could be borrowed?
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 13, 2021, 06:03:02 AM by jpane »

Offline BDA

Re: WTB Reverse Detent Housing
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,January 12, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
It should be pretty simple to make your own if someone can give you some dimensions (I'm not fully up on 3D printing but that sounds like an intriguing possibility) and you might need to play with some springs - though I think the spring is simple enough that you should be able to get close to the original rate by counting the coils and measuring the diameter of the wire.

The detent cam makes it pretty difficult to get into 5th. You might want to play with that at some point. I think I have seen that the cam is available so you can buy an extra one to play with.

I was going to say that the 352 shares that detent housing but according to SJ Sports Cars, who seems to have the 352 part (they list it anyway), that is only for the 352. Obviously, I don't know what the differences are.

Lastly, I know that Richard doesn't do email and I've heard the same thing about Lotus Supplies.

Offline jpane

Re: WTB Reverse Detent Housing
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 12, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »
I just realized that the parts manual shows the shift mechanism for later 352's is the same as 365!
Checked with SJ Sportscars and they show that they have it. Got all the way to payment when they said they have to send me a quotation after checking availability!!
Thanks so much for giving me the idea to check them.

I wrote this before I thought to check Parts Manual and SJ's website:
 I have a new spring and ball coming from RD tomorrow. My son-in-law does some 3D printing. I know he has been able to do metal, I just don't know its properties.
His best project was a plastic Ukelele for his kids :)

Offline jpane

Re: WTB Reverse Detent Housing- Still Looking
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,January 13, 2021, 06:04:24 AM »
Unfortunately, SJ does not have that part, so I'm still looking. Got my hopes up when it was specifically listed on their website.

Offline jpane

Part Found- Reverse Detent Housing
« Reply #4 on: Friday,January 15, 2021, 05:53:11 AM »
I am having a used one shipped from Lotus Supplies, formerly Banks. Entire transaction via email, including PayPal. Got the initial reply from him just before I was going to call them. Should have done that from the beginning.
It was not "quick", because of time zone differences causing delays, but I wanted everyone to know that email does work with them.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions, John

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #5 on: Friday,January 15, 2021, 09:03:40 AM »

Glad you are sorted.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 12:56:32 AM »
jpane - this is interesting. I note you posted on my "365 5th Gear Indent & Plunger" thread on Thursday, February 04, 2021 at 12:18:30 - which is an associated subject so I have to ask the question, following the data in that thread, "why are you be looking for one ?"   :confused: What am I missing?? 

Offline jpane

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,August 24, 2021, 05:51:56 AM »
Very delayed response to Dilkris, sorry. I removed the external gate at the shift lever, so the external 5th gear lockout is needed. My previous owner was very active in autocross, so he fabricated the gate. Not so practical or convenient for just driving.
John