Author Topic: '74 TCS on BaT  (Read 777 times)

Offline BDA

'74 TCS on BaT
« on: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 07:40:48 PM »
A pretty nice 5-speed TCS with rear discs is for sale on Bring a Trailer: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-lotus-europa-twin-cam-8/

It needs some attention and, in my opinion, the dash is horrible (though if the owner made it, he certainly did a better job than I could do!). It's a nice driver. It's already up to $13,500 and there are still seven days for the auction to run.

Good luck to the seller!

Offline GavinT

Re: '74 TCS on BaT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 09:39:18 PM »
Tacho stuck on 3,500 RPM?

It's impressively quiet in the video's though.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 07:16:28 AM »
This one comment caught my eye

Britcarguy  310
The Europa suspension, wheel, and tire size combination were designed to meet a certain level of stress. Adding wider wheels and tires upsets the balance and could cause suspension component failure especially the rear uprights. Get new tires for the stock rims and drive to the max. Having said that my 74 on stock rims had a rear upright fracture at about 70 mph luckily on an empty road. Car did a 540 degree spin and tore up rear bodywork on one side. Should I have inspected the suspension better? Yes.

That must have been a wild ride....

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 07:17:45 AM »
The seller posted that he was unable to get the idle down but a friend adjusted the temperature compensators and was then able to get the idle down. I don’t know enough about Strombergs to know what a temperature compensator is (maybe some sort of choke?) but that apparently fixed it. I think it would drive me crazy to drive a car that idled at 3500 rpm!

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »

Britcarguy  310
The Europa suspension, wheel, and tire size combination were designed to meet a certain level of stress. Adding wider wheels and tires upsets the balance and could cause suspension component failure especially the rear uprights. Get new tires for the stock rims and drive to the max. Having said that my 74 on stock rims had a rear upright fracture at about 70 mph luckily on an empty road. Car did a 540 degree spin and tore up rear bodywork on one side. Should I have inspected the suspension better? Yes.

There are lots (can you say that about Europe’s?) of Europe’s with wider than stock wheels and have no problems!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 07:25:52 AM »

Britcarguy  310

There are lots (can you say that about Europe’s?) of Europe’s with wider than stock wheels and have no problems!

Agreed!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 01:34:57 PM »

Britcarguy  310

I read that and thought the same, I'm one of them running much wider.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,October 27, 2020, 01:45:03 PM »
It went for $15,000! How utterly depressing!

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,October 27, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »
What's depressing about that. Most cars end up costing you more than resale price that's just how it is.

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,October 28, 2020, 07:39:58 AM »
I thought it was a pretty nice car - and a five speed at that - that was worth much more than that. As an owner, I’m interested in the value of these cars to increase and a low price at an auction could put some pressure on the price in the future.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,October 28, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »
I'm looking to buy one so I prefer the values low. However I own other classics of which two have dramatically increased in value. Personally  I would much rather this was not the case. I can only see a benefit if you were to trade down or sell and not buy another classic.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,October 28, 2020, 10:13:39 AM »
It went for $15,000! How utterly depressing!
Somebody got a terrific deal.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery