Author Topic: Barrett-Jackson: Europa Special  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Barrett-Jackson: Europa Special
« Reply #15 on: Friday,January 17, 2020, 12:08:31 AM »
Agreed JB. Both the triumphs were restored to as new condition and came out of a private collection. I’m sure big money was spent on both and the sale price reflected  a small portion of the restoration cost.

The Europa was not even in the same league.

BDA, it’s my opinion you can’t use BAT as a pricing reference as a comparison to Barrett Jackson auctions. At BJ auction you get to see the car in person and up close. And.....you get to compare against other cars being sold in same price range. More importantly, most of the cars at BJ are pristine.  Live car auctions have a different action going on. BAT you can take a week to decide and your looking at photos.

In reality, none of it makes much sense. I’ve seen both types of auctions have ridiculous swings of prices. All it takes are two people who want the same car and have big bank accounts. Or only one who gets the deal of a century.
« Last Edit: Friday,January 17, 2020, 12:18:33 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Music City Lotus

« Reply #16 on: Friday,January 17, 2020, 02:44:35 AM »
The seller would have been better off at Bring a Trailer. Less fees, less shipping cost, better market place.
1971 Lotus Europa Type 65

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #17 on: Friday,January 17, 2020, 06:16:27 AM »
In reality, none of it makes much sense. I’ve seen both types of auctions have ridiculous swings of prices. All it takes are two people who want the same car and have big bank accounts. Or only one who gets the deal of a century.

and I would add those two people you reference Glen are either ignorant of the other sources for those cars (like this forum, Lotus Talk, or other Lotus only sites) OR are just lazy to explore and research others.  As you say, they have money to burn and go to the hotbeds of glitter/glamour to buy what they have a whim to get without really being informed about what's out there.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Friday,January 17, 2020, 07:10:35 AM »
Agreed JB. Both the triumphs were restored to as new condition and came out of a private collection. I’m sure big money was spent on both and the sale price reflected  a small portion of the restoration cost.

The Europa was not even in the same league.

BDA, it’s my opinion you can’t use BAT as a pricing reference as a comparison to Barrett Jackson auctions. At BJ auction you get to see the car in person and up close. And.....you get to compare against other cars being sold in same price range. More importantly, most of the cars at BJ are pristine.  Live car auctions have a different action going on. BAT you can take a week to decide and your looking at photos.

I certainly agree about the two types of auctions. I use BaT as a benchmark because I'm not aware of any other place that keeps a history of what the cars went for as well as the information about the car. Is there another place you can get that information?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Friday,January 17, 2020, 09:46:58 AM »

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Friday,January 17, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
Thanks, JB!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #21 on: Friday,January 17, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
They are more interested in following rising and falling values but they are very good judges of stock and keep very long records of sales for comparison in their reviews.