Author Topic: Ford Zetec/Other Bellhousing to Renault Box  (Read 1354 times)

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

Ford Zetec/Other Bellhousing to Renault Box
« on: Thursday,December 20, 2018, 03:30:30 AM »
I got some interesting replies to my wanted ad for a 5 speed bellhousing to suit my Zetec-NG3 europa setup. The original TCS 5 speed one would work I think, but they don't seem to be growing on trees the way they used to.

I've got a Zetec and an NG3 box I can lend to the supplier to get it done. Are there any known features we need to change , to make it more compatible with a wider range of Ford/Renault combinations. I might need to collect up the rest of the parts to make the system work - e.g. starter, flywheel, clutch set, fork, slave cylinder or cable bracket, to make a whole mockup available for the supplier. Does anyone have some bits on the shelf?

I could have one fabricated for less than the cost of buying and shipping a used one (I think), but if other people are interested, I've got a lead for a supplier who might be persuaded to manufacture them, although this would be subject to a minimum quantity I'm sure. A machined solution could improve the quality (both visual and dimensional) and accuracy of the finished part.

I've asked the question about 'how much for an order of 5 parts?' and will see if they're interested.

Group buys are generally a pain in the butt for the supplier. It's a lot like herding cats. I might be prepared to fund the minimum order and sell them on at a slight markup (e.g. about 5-10%, depending on the unit price) to cover the hassle and buy me a pint, but if people want to order up front, then I'd pass parts on at cost.

International  shipping should be possible, although the cost of freight, insurance and duties would have to be paid by the person ordering the parts.

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/

Thanks to 'Midnight' for the steer on this.

If anyone has any thoughts on this - experience of trying to do something similar, or knows the supplier, then I'd be really glad to have the feedback, either on this thread, or by private message, at your preference.

Thanks
Mike

« Last Edit: Thursday,December 20, 2018, 03:36:00 AM by StrawberryCheesecake »

Online BDA

Re: Ford Zetec/Other Bellhousing to Renault Box
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,December 20, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »
I don't remember where but I thought I heard that Richard occasionally makes a run of reproduction TC bell housings. If you haven't called him already, I think it would be worth it.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,December 20, 2018, 06:46:01 AM »
I seem to recall there was one other place than Richard as well but for the life of me I can't remember who.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,December 20, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »
Does anyone have some bits on the shelf?

What bit do you need to borrow?

I have at least 4 complete cars in bit here in Norfolk.

Online RoddyMac

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,December 20, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »
Are there any known features we need to change , to make it more compatible with a wider range of Ford/Renault combinations.

Increase the thickness of the area around the input shaft seal, in order to fit an NG3 bearing/seal assembly you have to either weld up the area or weld in an ally bushing to be then bored out to suit the bearing/seal.  You could then have it bored/machined to suit the original gearboxes, or allow someone to open it up for the NG series gearboxes.   

The other area that could be modified is the starter mounting bosses.  I used a North American Ford Focus starter that has a 3 ear mounting.  I had to add a new boss for the third lug and weld in another lug beside the lowest "stock" boss in order to achieve proper engagement with the ring gear. 

Other than that, maybe look at adding a suitable mounting for a hydraulic slave cylinder?  Though that may require a custom clutch cross shaft.  Also look at a different spot for the alternator mount, or have an option to delete the mount?  The Zetec T/stat housing and coil packs interfere with the stock mount and require a portion to be removed.  Though, one could always mount the coil under the intake manifold as I have done.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,December 20, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
When I did my Zetec conversion I sent my original bell housing to Richard Winter. I ended up using a stock Zetec flywheel and pressure plate. He had a clutch made with the correct splines. He also modified the stock bell housing to accommodate the different output shaft of the NG3. I used the stock Twin Cam starter with a different nose gear. I also put a 1/2 inch spacer on the starter to move it back to allow for the thicker fly wheel. Also used the stock Twin Cam throw out bearing. No other modifications were required. 

« Last Edit: Friday,December 21, 2018, 05:21:50 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,September 01, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »
Topic back from the dead.

I never got any sort of progress with the last route. I expect the folks I was talking to were very busy with other work.

Today I picked up an NG3 Gearbox, with an adaptor for a Zetec engine, from a Midtec Spyder (Lee Nobles's first design, I'm told)

The link below is a pic of the chassis with no bodywork.

So I was thinking I could get copies of the adaptor plate made, for other folk interested in fitting an NG3 to a Zetec, and not having the right lotus-ford-renault 5 speed bell housing to start with. Seems simpler than having a whole bell housing made.

The plate I have is steel, but I'd try to have them remade in Ally. I don't think Mr Chapman would have approved of the weight of the steel one.

Any expressions of interest would be welcome. Not looking for commitment at this stage, as there are no prices to commit to.

As far as I understand it, the Midtec setup uses the Zetec flywheel and a Renault clutch kit. Don't know about starters and so on, but will try to find out.

Pics to follow. 

Online BDA

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,September 01, 2019, 06:45:51 AM »
I THINK Richard used to sell reproduction TC bell housings. You might want to give them a call in case it makes more sense.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,September 01, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »
There is one innovative member who cut his bell housings in half to join a TC with a Mazda engine for his project. don't remember who at the moment.  Kennedy products may offer some help as they already make a adapter plate for zetec to VW/Porsche transaxle mate-ups.

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,September 01, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I've got an adaptor plate now. I'm offering to get some copies made for other people.

I'll check it fits before I take it much further though. I've got an engine and box I can try it with.

Pics...

The cargo area of my MX5 single seater today. It was a good day for a drive over the Peak District in the MX5, so I found a way :D

The plate. It's made out of steel but I'd probably get them done in Ally

Gearbox modded for Sierra output shafts

NG3-021 Gearbox. Think it's been modded a bit round the top - lower right in the pic as the gearbox isn't the right way up.
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 01, 2019, 10:24:44 PM by StrawberryCheesecake »

Online BDA

« Reply #10 on: Monday,September 02, 2019, 07:16:29 AM »
I understood you already had a steel plate. I don't know what it will cost to make an aluminum one or get one of Richard's bell housings but I thought it was worth a phone call to see see if it made sense. I would think it would be simpler to just have the bell housing. But then if you can recoup some of your costs by selling some, maybe that's the way to go.

You found another trunk in your MX5!

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #11 on: Monday,September 02, 2019, 07:39:14 AM »
Have you spoken to Richard at Banks about this? - only asking as he already has aluminium adaptor plates for the NG3 etc gearboxes and has fitted so many different engines for people (including himself) that i would be amazed if he either hasn't already done one or can't adapt his plate to suit the Ford pattern.

Might save you a whole heap of trouble and expense?

*Edit to add - Banks already has the output shaft drive flanges for Sierra driveshafts available. I have them on my car from 20 years ago now!
« Last Edit: Monday,September 02, 2019, 08:12:16 AM by JR73 »

« Reply #12 on: Monday,September 02, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the Banks website and see if I can avoid the hard work of getting hold of them on the phone. I notice that the Banks webite still refers to parts sales being handled by Lotus Supplies. Am I right in thinking that they're back in house now, as it didn't work out?

Given that I've already got one adptor plate, it's really a question of whether I have a small batch made for others.

The output flanges on the box were a bonus. I'm wondering if the hole positions are similar to the VW equivalent part - must offer one up.
« Last Edit: Monday,September 02, 2019, 08:15:18 AM by StrawberryCheesecake »