Author Topic: Europa S1-S2 - Rear Halfshaft Roll Pins - JAE  (Read 732 times)

Offline Esprit2

Europa S1-S2 - Rear Halfshaft Roll Pins - JAE
« on: Thursday,October 05, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
During my recent little tranny-out project,  I ordered new roll pins from JAE.   The last time (2014) I'd tried rdE's pins, and there was no way the outer pin was going in, so I called JAE.   Their outer roll pin went in okay, but there was no way the inner pin would fit.   So I just ran with the outer pins alone for 3 years.

When I ordered this time, Joe told me they were out of stock, and their old vendor was no more.   But they'd found a new vendor and pins were in route... so I ordered some.   The 'new vendor' thing made me a little nervous, since JAE's old outer pins were the only pins I'd had any luck with at all in recent years.   I was afraid of losing that one pin that fit.

Now I can report that both of JAE's new roll pins go in...  outer and inner.   It's a snug fit, and according to my fuzzy memory, a bit harder than the original Lotus pins.   But they go in.

rdE's outer pin's slot is more of a slit.   The sides are virtually touching to begin with, so the pin goes solid right away, and it's a way-too-heavy negative fit.   The new JAE outer pin has a 0.087" wide slot for plenty of flex.   The OD is 0.015" larger than the original Lotus OEM pin, but the slot is 0.017" wider.   Overall, it works, and I call that a "success with some small potential for improvement".   It's good.

JAE's new inner pin is significantly smaller OD than their last one, so it fits now as well.   See dimensions below.

I must confess that I automatically fell into old  habits, and didn't try the pins as received.   My usual approach is to chuck the pins up in a drill, then fire up the grinding wheel and spin the pin's end against the wheel.   As they come, at least one end has a small taper/ chamfer for easier starting, but I always put a longer/ generous taper on one end.   Maybe ~1/8".   That just makes getting the pin started much easier, no matter which pin you're using.   That's what I did with these pins as well... force of habit.   But once started, I don't think the extra tapered lead has significant affect on how easily the pin drives in.   These pins required a good smack with a 'real' hammer, but then, don't they all.   These went in.

JAE Outer Roll Pin (7mm Nominal Spec)
........... INCH ..................... MILLIMETER
OD .... Length.. Gap .... OD .... Length ... Gap
0.298 x 1.573 x 0.087 = 7.560 x 39.954 x 2.219 -- New JAE
0.301 x 1.571 x 0.081 = 7.650 x 39.903 x 2.062 -- Prev JAE
0.283 x 1.541 x 0.060 = 7.195 x 39.129 x 1.511 -- OEM Lotus

JAE Inner Roll Pin (4mm Nominal Spec)
........... INCH ..................... MILLIMETER
OD .... Length.. Gap .... OD .... Length ... Gap
0.177 x 1.577 x 0.062 = 4.491 x 40.056 x 1.565 -- New JAE
0.215 x 1.583 x 0.061 = 5.461 x 40.208 x 1.537 -- Prev JAE
I don't have an original OEM to measure.

*~*~*~*
Sometime, I'd like to do a similar check on the Twin Cam roll pin, but I don't happen to have a Twin Cam to play with.   Also, JAE is currently working off of existing inventory of Twin Cam pins from their previous supplier before placing an order with the new vendor.   I'll have to leave it to a TC owner to comment on how they fit.

Regards,
Tim Engel
« Last Edit: Friday,October 06, 2017, 11:35:13 AM by Esprit2 »

Offline BDA

Re: Europa S1-S2 - Rear Halfshaft Roll Pins - JAE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 05, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
Thanks, Tim. I have never bought anything from JAE so it's nice to know they are a reputable supplier.

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Europa S1-S2 - Rear Halfshaft Roll Pins - JAE
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
I also purchased roll pins from both RDE and JAE around the same time frame. Memory is a bit vague on this but I  believe I ordered a set of both outer and inner pins first from RDE. I do remember that the outer pins fit but the inner pins wouldn't even fit inside the outer pin by hand, too wide by along shot.  I then ordered a set from JAE which had the same issue. Somehow, I got hold of the smaller diameter inner pins which fit. These are the dimensions of my pins.

Outer pin                   Inner pins wide               Inner pin narrow
7.53 mm diameter      5.53 mm diameter          4.53 mm diameter
1.98 mm slot              1.81 mm slot                  1.75 mm slot
40.37 mm long           40.05 mm long                40.16 mm long

Installing the outer pins and the smaller pins went without issue. It's good to know that JAE has the correct diameter pins after all this time.

The last photo shows the pin removed from my TCS, I believe it's called a spirol pin.