Author Topic: 4 post lift failure  (Read 1136 times)

Offline 61Elite

4 post lift failure
« on: Sunday,August 06, 2017, 05:41:31 AM »
I don't know how many members have four posts lifts, but I thought the members should be aware of a potential problem.  I have a (now defunct) Autolifters four post lift.  Had it for 20 years.  Recently I had my Jaguar on it and a couple inches off the floor I heard a loud snap.  One of the cable guide pulleys shattered.  Autolifters used a "plastic" guide pulley with a brass insert. The brass bushing is not held firmly enough in place and it can break.  Then shortly thereafter the pulley also breaks.  Most of these four post lift work the same way, and it would be a good idea to check your pulleys.  Backyard Buddy uses a 4" diameter 3/4" bore pulley that is exactly the same size as the "plastic" pulleys used by Autolifters. BBs' pulleys are steel with a brass bushing.  They should last forever.   I changed out all the pulleys for about $300.

Had this happened when the car was near the top, could have been really serious. 

Offline BDA

Re: 4 post lift failure
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 06, 2017, 05:50:40 AM »
That must have been scary! Glad it failed at the "right" time!

Offline jbcollier

Re: 4 post lift failure
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,August 06, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »
Any lift be it mechanical or hydraulic requires regular inspections and servicing.  Any lift requires a fail proof mechanical latching system which is separate from the lifting mechanism.  Never go under any lift unless the mechanical latches are engaged.