Author Topic: Fitting wheel arch plates  (Read 1046 times)

Stuleslie

Fitting wheel arch plates
« on: Monday,October 09, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »
Has anyone any tips on fitting the plates in the wheel arches? The original aluminium plates were held on with plastic number plate bolts. Would you recommend sealer down the outer edge of the wing or fit plastic edging?  Should I seal the gaps at the top of the plates? Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI I have just got the body back from an extensive refurb from Spydercars, UK and I had reinforcing pipe and plates fitted into the sills, hope you can see in the pics. They consist of a pipe running the length of the sill with three plates welded to the pipe and bolted to the inside face of the sill, one of which is used as the seatbelt anchorage point. I know they are a bit low for side impact protection but it beefs up the seat belt anchorage. One big problem was the plate and pipe covered the bottom petrol tank mounting holes so I had to move the tanks up by 3cm.

Cheers Stuart

Offline buzzer

Re: Fitting wheel arch plates
« Reply #1 on: Monday,October 09, 2017, 02:19:16 AM »
The original cover plates on the TCS anyhow was a type of thick cardboard pop riveted in.
I made new ones with ally sheet and used a cardboard template which I made to fit. The front one I reverted as no access is required, but the rear one I used rivets as access is required if the tank needs to come out.
Then silicone around the edge to seal then use underseal to cover over it all
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 09, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
Before you put your interior back in, reinforce the real weak spot on the Europa body: where the A-piller meets the roof.  Cracks here are very common.  Glass in some metal strips to properly support the fragile junction.

Stuleslie

« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 09, 2017, 08:55:04 AM »
Dave, thanks for the info.

John, will do.

Cheers, Stuart