Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Running hot - any advice?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Grumblebuns:
I don't know how long your TCS was sitting but make sure that your coolant pipes and radiator are free of rust and crud. When I started up my S2 for the first time after sitting for several years, I immediately plugged up my radiator with the rust that had settled in the low points of my coolant pipes. I would back flush the radiator and run a garden hose through the pipes with the hoses disconnected from the radiator. You will at least know that your problem is not a flow issue.

Europa73:
thanks - will do

Sounds like a fun job :-(

Europa73:
Hi all,

i hope this is not going to be bad news.   

I bled the rad - flushed the pipes and the car is still running hot.

needle resting on the 1 of the 130 on the temperature gauge.

I have no leaking from the water pump - and the heater works well.

I did notice that the rad is very slow to heat up and the top hose next the the thermostat housing is way hotter than the hose at the front of the engine.

Is there a way to test my water pump is operating correctly

Second I will test the thermostat - any advise on what thermostat and gasket it uses in the TCS

Many thanks,

Europa73:
just repeatedly tested the thermostat - and it opens wide up in boiling water.

next test the sender.

any thoughts anyone?

BDA:
IIRC, the thermostat is marked for when it opens. I would check that it opened at the right temp, but since it opens by 100°C, that isn't the cause of your overheating. If it's not opening soon enough, it may not be helping you as much as it should but I think the failure mode is not to open rather than at the wrong temp.

Testing the sender is a good idea.

I'm sure someone out there has a better idea, but you could test your water pump by taking out the thermostat and pulling the top radiator hose. When the motor is running, it should pump water out of the radiator (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong - but either way, you'll see movement somewhere quickly if it works!).

Are the rest of your gauges behaving properly. If not, I think your voltage stabilizer could be causing you trouble. Here's a link that might be helpful: http://www.minimania.com/Smiths_Voltage_Stabilizers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version