Author Topic: Master Cylinder removal  (Read 2761 times)

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

Master Cylinder removal
« on: Monday,May 08, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
HI:My Europa S2 was sitting for a while and I want to remove the Master Cylinder to either rebuild or replace.
The car is in storage so I wanted an idea what the "best" way to get at it and remove it is from those who have done it.
Thanks
Bernie

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Master Cylinder removal
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 09, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »
To remove just the S2 master cylinder:
1. remove the brake pedal pushrod pivot pin from the brake pedal
2. disconnect both brake lines from MC
3. disconnect lead from SOVY tank, if connected
4. remove upper and lower retaining nuts holding MC to mounting bracket
5. pull out MC as far as it will go
6. pull off rubber cap from end of MC and remove MC pushrod ā€œCā€ clip
7. MC should be free at this point

A couple of points to consider:
1. to replace the rubber cover with a new cover, you may have to remove the MC pushrod from the linkage. I don't know if the rubber can fit over the washer
2. check to make sure that the linkage is free to pivot without binding inside the mounting bracket

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 10, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
HI:Thanks for the info.My system is more of the Series 1 look(see fig 1) on the brake side.
I think the mounting bracket can stay in the car but I could be wrong because I have never pealed back the carpet in the pedal compartment to have a look.
It has the remote fill container.
Thanks again
Bernie

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,May 10, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »
Sorry, bad assumption on my part, thought you had a federal S2. I can't fully access the front of my S1 at the moment but the mounting method appears to be similar to the TC/TCS with the MC bolted directly to the "T" section of the chassis. I would still try to disconnect the push rod from the brake pedal in order to remove the MC. The steering rack above the MC may make removal/replacement of the "C" clip at the MC difficult in place.   

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,May 10, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
HI:"The steering rack above the MC".
That's my main concern as I think to get at the upper and lower retaining nuts holding MC the steering rack is going to be an issue.
Corrosion is a Europa's best friend so access may be difficult on top of the situation of a couple of frozen nuts(excuse the expression).

I have a Sunbeam Tiger and the brake MC set up is somewhat similar.The nuts holding the MC to the bulkhead are an easy job because the steering rack is way out of the picture.

Thanks for your advice.
Bernie

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 10, 2017, 04:08:31 PM »
It's not fun but it's not hard to reach inside with a wrench to hold the un-captive nuts.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 10, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
HI:Do I need a wrench on both ends??
ie The bolt is not secured to the bulk head?
What I am wondering is do I put one helper in the car on their stomach with a socket on the one end and I undue it from the other because that helper would be my less than thrilled wife!!
Thanks

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,May 11, 2017, 06:24:42 AM »
There are no captive fittings.  You need a wrench on the bolt and the nut.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,May 11, 2017, 07:13:17 AM »
HI:Thanks, I now know what I am in for!!!
Bernie

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,May 11, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »
A new pair of ear rings might help, or perhaps a nice dinner.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,May 11, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
When you get the job done, post your experience and any issues. One thing I noticed from the S1 parts manual, there is a backing plate between the MC and the frame. I'm assuming that like the S2 the plate is internal to the frame. There is no part number for the plate in the parts manual.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,May 27, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »
HI:"It's not fun but it's not hard to reach inside with a wrench to hold the un-captive nuts."
You are correct!!!
I had to remove the steering wheel to get enough room to get near the inner assembly.There is a "cap" that is over the assembly on the inside that will have to be drilled because the screws holding it are corroded in place.
I ran out of energy and ingenuity before the task was completed. My next trip to it will entail drills.
I removed the wheel to get a better look at the situation but the biggest pain is the steering rack as there is virtually "0" clearance to get a wrench in at the upper most nut even with my hard to get at box wrenches.
Not the best time was had.
Bernie

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,May 28, 2017, 04:11:01 AM »
I actually went out to buy a certain length box wrench just to do this as my normal sizes were either too long or too short. I don't remember the length (I should have marked it Lotus Europa tool only) but it made a major difference in getting to those nuts inside the frame.

I wouldn't drill them out. Just get another box wrench.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,May 28, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »
HI:The drilling will be on the 2 self thread screws holding a metal cap on the inside of the car.Was the box end a different length or was it a different thickness?
Do you remember how you accessed the top nut of the master cylinder as the bottom bolt is accessible?The steering rack is not helping the situation.
Did you take off the brake line attachment flare nut while it was still in the car?
I have added a pic of what special boxes I brought along.
Retirement happened a few months ago so I can now address the truly burning issues like world poverty and fixing this lotus that I have had for 35 years.
It ran up to storage time(in a ventilated bag) about 25 years ago(marriage kids etc).
Thanks for any help as getting at the problem will be more difficult than the problem itself.
Bernie