Author Topic: Rear wheels wont turn!  (Read 5541 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Rear wheels wont turn!
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday,April 18, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
Check the manual, but IIRC, you heat up the upright with hot water to get the bearings out. How old are your bearings? It might be a good time to install new ones.

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #46 on: Tuesday,April 18, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
kudos to jbcollier correctly predicting that the MIA outer spacer was inside the hub carrier! Why the PO put it in there is anyone's guess.

I was able to gently tap out the inner bearing with a drift placed against the outer spacer in the hub carrier - so that was convenient! Out came the inner bearing, the outer spacer and the inner spacer (in that order).

Now I suppose I just need to replace the inner spacer and press in the inner bearing and its cover, before re-inserting the stub axle. The inner bearing looks good, and the outer bearing appears to be relatively new.

Offline BDA

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday,April 18, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »
Amazing! I don't know how he could have fit it in there!

Offline 46lotus

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday,April 18, 2017, 11:17:08 PM »
The outer axle bearing journal is no good and the splines may be damaged also.  It also appears the inner bearing was not seated fully and not pressed onto the shoulder.   Check the length of the long spacer,   it should be 2"

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 11:01:46 PM »
The outer axle bearing journal is no good and the splines may be damaged also.  It also appears the inner bearing was not seated fully and not pressed onto the shoulder.   Check the length of the long spacer,   it should be 2"

Yeh, the inner bearing couldn't meet the shoulder as the PO had placed an outer spacer in there preventing it!

The splines look serviceable to me for the time being.

The inner spacer is a tad over 2", which is correct I believe.

Offline Roger

« Reply #50 on: Friday,April 21, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »
The inner bearing does not seat, it provides no axial location.
Since you don't have a TCS, your spacer should be 2.125" long.
I'd clean up the outer journal with a bit of fine emery, then look again keeping in mind that the outermost part, just before the splines, is where the outer spacer sits.
As for the splines, since you are going to fill them up with Loctite, they probably are ok. They will only wear further if they chatter in the hub.
You are going to use the correct Loctite I hope! An earlier comment you made about removing the hub without heat doesn't suggest the correct grade was used then.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #51 on: Friday,April 21, 2017, 05:21:33 AM »
having followed this post for a few weeks now I'm going to strip mine down again in the coming weeks.  This was one of the few jobs I didn't do on my restoration project and took the parts to my local garage to do the bearings and UJs. I have no doubt he didn't use locktite.