Author Topic: Finding a registration number from the VIN  (Read 1677 times)

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

Finding a registration number from the VIN
« on: Wednesday,October 21, 2015, 01:29:49 AM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to do this through one of the clubs or Lotus dealers?

Looking at a basket case S2. The owner has lost the documents and the number plates, but has the VIN plate.

I want to use the registration, and make sure it doesn't have a dodgy past.

Offline Nick in Beds

Re: Finding a registration number from the VIN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2015, 02:20:18 AM »
I went through this a while back with an old motorcycle.  To cut a very long story short the DVLA told me that they do hold the information but will not release it - the only way forward was to MOT it on the frame number then apply for an age related registration number.

I did ask if it wouldn't be easier (and make more sense) to give it back the original number or at least let me know what it was - the standard DVLA answer = "Sorry, that is not the policy"   :confused:

This was a few years back so might be worth contacting them - you may get lucky !

Offline Alan K

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2015, 04:22:03 AM »
I had a similar issue with a vehicle that was off the road for years and I had lost the original green logbook. I knew the original registration number, but was told by DVLA that at some stage during the 70's? there was a change over in their systems and if a vehicle was untaxed, you had to notify them, or it was put in some sort of official limbo.
No matter how I tried, they wouldn't re-assign the original number (even though it wasn't being used) and I had to go through the process outlined above by Nick, so it now has an age related number.

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2015, 04:32:37 AM »
I had a similar issue with an Alfa GTV6 I bought, which has been a racing car since 1986. I was able to find out from someone in the Owners Club who seemed to have access to dealership systems.

Anyone on here work for Lotus, or for a dealer? I now have the VIN number.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
The only guy I can think of that might be able to help is Andy Graham who sometimes posts on Lotuselan.net and is the official lotus Archivist, but it's a long shot. Generally he knows the original build specifications, when and where they were sold to but he's a helpful guy and might have some ideas. If nothing else the VIN should give you a build date from which you might get the registration year.

If the current owner is the one applying for information, why can't he get it from the DVLA ?  Not so long ago you could send them a fiver and get a sheaf of xeroxed pages of your car's log book/registration history, they even had a form on their website to do it.  So releasing such info for the legal, genuine owner doesn't seem that far away ?  I think I'd try again, you might get someone more helpful next time.

Brian

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »
According to the DVLA website, they'll want to check the car over first, and issue it with an age related plate if they're satisfied. On the other hand, if you have the registration number, you can just apply for a new document for £25.

As it won't have the original chassis, engine, or gearbox, that's not an option I'm confident in. I'm thinking new Lotus chassis and a non original engine - possibly Clio 16v