Author Topic: ELSE Europa restoration 2015 -2018  (Read 69966 times)

Offline blasterdad

Re: ELSE Europa restoration 2015
« Reply #135 on: Friday,January 29, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Looking at around $100 dollars by the time it gets to the states, & they are currently out of stock of the standard size.  :P

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #136 on: Friday,January 29, 2016, 04:27:11 PM »
give a search for dune buggy battery boxes.  quite a few for the odyssey & optima, and standard batteries, and in conus to boot.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #137 on: Sunday,February 07, 2016, 11:15:57 AM »
A good day today, most of the coolant hoses in place but really struggling with the hose that goes from the swirl pot down to the steel coolant pipe. Should there be another short steel pipe in there? Mine has a four branch exhaust manifold and the rubber hose that I've used goes so close ( about 10mm) it can't possible survive.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #138 on: Sunday,February 07, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
Plug rather than join the two outlets at the pump.  Make the RH one a bleed point.

Have an exhaust shop custom bend tubing to fit between the swirl pot and return pipe.  It's important the plain ends of the pipe have either a bead rolled or  four rivets around the circumference.  This prevents the cooling hose from being blown off under pressure.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #139 on: Monday,February 08, 2016, 05:02:23 AM »
Thanks.  I was talking to Richard at Banks today and it looks like my coolant pipes have been cut short because of the 4 branch manifold and twin choke weber.  I'm having to have something manufacture so I'll mention that.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #140 on: Monday,February 08, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »
So it was you hogging the phone line this morning !

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #141 on: Wednesday,February 10, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
I've spent all day in my garage today and feel like I've achieved bugger all. This car is so frustrating it's impossible to just do a job once. I fitted the alternator and a bolt snapped. I fitted the cam pully and another holt snapped. Everything is so bloody fragile. Arggggg

rant over thank you.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday,February 10, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
I fitted the alternator and a bolt snapped. I fitted the cam pully and another holt snapped. Everything is so bloody fragile. Arggggg

hmmm, common theme here, is somebody having two shredded wheat for breakfast then ?    (old British advertisement joke for those across the pond... you have to have had a black & white telly to get it  ;)  )

Brian

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #143 on: Monday,February 15, 2016, 05:00:39 AM »
So the week just got worse and I ended up with several set backs.  As mentioned  in another post my alternator was too long and I'm trying to source a smaller original one.  I also discovered that the coolant pipes were way too close to the 4 branch manifold so I've had to have a stainless steel pipe specially made to bypass the exhaust.  Then the final insult.....  Finally got power to the starter motor and a manual oil pressure gauge.  you may remember that this is a brand new but unused 37 year old engine that has never fired.  So before I get ahead of myself I cranked over the motor on the starter, without plugs,  to check for oil pressure. I was a bit concerned at first but eventually the pressure rose and I was very relieved, until I heard a small "pop".  Within seconds most of my oil was all over the garage floor and close inspection noted that the O ring had popped out of the oil filter.  This was the original filter (again 40 years old) that I was using as a temp measure but clearly that was a bad (and very expensive) decision.  It took me most of Saturday to clean up the mess what a horrible job.  btw my new filter seems to be too long and I can't fit it in because the chassis leg is in the way. What a week!! I think I need a rest.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #144 on: Monday,February 15, 2016, 08:08:43 AM »
It's a mess but good news as it can be quite difficult to get a dry oil pump to suck oil -- and, after 30+ years, your pump would have been very dry.  Sounds like the oil filter was a little loose.  The proper filter is very short.  The same filter was used on many Renaults, just ask for one to suit a 1980 R5 with a 1.4 litre engine.

Again, good news about your engine's oil pressure!

Offline BDA

« Reply #145 on: Monday,February 15, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
A real mess, but as John says, really good news about the oil pressure! Hopefully, a new short filter and new oil will get you going!

Offline rascott

« Reply #146 on: Monday,February 15, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
i had a similar problem w/a different vehicle(and may not apply in this case) when the oil pressure relief valve would stick closed.
blew the filter and pumped oil on cold start.
fantastic oil pressure until it ran out of oil, and that didn't take long.
i went thru a few filters(and did a couple of unintended oil changes) before figuring it out.
memory flash- had to mention.
richard

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #147 on: Monday,February 15, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »
That's a possibility but, usually, you don't have enough engine speed while cranking to generate oil pressure sufficient to activate the oil pressure relief valve.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #148 on: Tuesday,February 16, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
Thanks, I've not heard of the relief valve where us it please

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #149 on: Tuesday,February 16, 2016, 03:37:15 PM »