Author Topic: ELSE Europa restoration 2015 -2018  (Read 70798 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: ELSE Europa restoration 2015
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday,March 22, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
After several frustrating weeks I've finally managed to fit an original alternator.  I've posted another story about the problems I've had.

The picture of your engine bay solved one of the mystery of what intake manifold is on my S2. Apparently my manifold is a copy of the ELSE design. Mine is missing the ELSE logo with no other manufacturing stampings anywhere. Everything else (sorry, couldn't resist) I see in your photo is identical with mine.

While you're at this stage of the restoration, I highly recommend thinking of an effective heat shield to protect the Weber from heat soak along with an air box and a cold air intake. My S2 came with a air box made from two cake pans screwed together with an opening cut out on the bottom, directly above the exhaust header. This along with a relatively small heat shield below the Weber made for a frustrating drive in traffic with a bad stumble getting off the line until the carb cleared out.

I'm currently working on the issue. 

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #166 on: Monday,March 28, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »
Thanks for that, I'll certainly consider it.  My biggest problem in that area has been re routing the coolant hose. The pipe coming from the chassis is far too close to the 4 branch exhaust manifold and the Webber sticks out so far that linking the pipe with the swirl pot has proved to be very frustrating.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #167 on: Monday,March 28, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
People have re-routed the coolant line to the swirl pot around the front of the Weber.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #168 on: Sunday,April 03, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »

[/quote]

While you're at this stage of the restoration, I highly recommend thinking of an effective heat shield to protect the Weber from heat soak along with an air box and a cold air intake. My S2 came with a air box made from two cake pans screwed together with an opening cut out on the bottom, directly above the exhaust header. This along with a relatively small heat shield below the Weber made for a frustrating drive in traffic with a bad stumble getting off the line until the carb cleared out.

I'm currently working on the issue.
[/quote]

After this advice I have removed my carb and exhaust manifold and ordered some heat shield wrap. I've finished re routing the coolant hoses so hopefully I can put this all back together sometime this week. 

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #169 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »
Progress has been slow in recent weeks I've taken more things apart that I fitted months ago. But everything should start to come back together in the next few weeks.  The first part of this has been adding some heat insulation to the exhaust manifold and the arrival of the new silencer.

Offline BDA

« Reply #170 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2016, 03:06:56 PM »
Gmg31,
Just an FYI here - You are supposed to start a quote with '
' and end it with '
' A simple way is to highlight and copy the text. Then when you are editing your post, click on the button under 'Font Size' between the '#' button and the bullet list button. Your cursor will be between a "
" and "
" and you can then just hit ctrl-V (on Windows machines. I'm not sure what it is on a Mac). Voila! Your text will be ensconced in a quote!  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 04, 2016, 05:14:45 AM by BDA »

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #171 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2016, 11:58:24 PM »
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work quite so easily on my old IPad. .

Offline BDA

« Reply #172 on: Wednesday,May 04, 2016, 05:28:24 AM »
I'm sorry. I didn't look at the results of my post and it's a mess! And the part that is really messy is the part that would apply to you and your iPad. tried to fix it to no avail.

Let's see if this is any better:

Start a quote with open square bracket "quote" close square bracket and end it with open square bracket "/quote" close square bracket. You were starting the quote with the "end quote tag" so your tags were showing up in your post. I'm on my iPad and here's a fake quote:

some quoted stuff

That's what we're after! Now the beerchug  :beerchug:  :)

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #173 on: Wednesday,May 04, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »
I realise this might ruffle a few feathers but one of the things I'm not keen on in the Europa is the minimalist open plan layout of the engine bay.  Obviously I know this was how they  "keep it simple and add lightness" but I wanted to add a separation between the engine and the fuel tanks.  Clearly a solid panel was out of the question so I went for these 2mm aluminium panels with 5mm perforations.  These were shaped to fit and I've just got them back from powder coating.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #174 on: Wednesday,May 04, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »
No "feathers ruffled" here, I think it's a nice touch.
Looking forward to seeing them installed.  8)

Offline BDA

« Reply #175 on: Wednesday,May 04, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »
There are a few "originalists" but I think most, or at least many, of us make mods to personalize and improve our car. Looks good to me, too! Can't wait to see pictures!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday,May 04, 2016, 11:23:18 PM »
Now that's a great idea. I think I shall steal it !   :)

The "original vs modifed" debate will always be around. Personally I like to see original cars but as many of you know, mine isn't although nothing I've done would take more than a spanner to revert to originality. 

It's a personal call and I justify it by thinking that if car makers always said "keep things original" then we'd never have had the S2 Europa or the TC. And if you think about it, the latter was another engine swap, not unlike the guys putting 4AGE engines in...

Brian

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #177 on: Friday,May 06, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Fitted black heat and sound proofing on the bulk head a while ago but never really liked how it looked. So I sourced some gold heat shield. I made a brake Union inspection hatch from perforated aluminium today and fitted the first of the new perforated aluminium fuel tank separation panels.
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 07, 2016, 03:58:31 AM by Gmg31 »

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #178 on: Friday,May 06, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
Starting to re fit the manifolds

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #179 on: Wednesday,May 11, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
Fitted the K&N filter today