Author Topic: WTB TC upholstery  (Read 1300 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: WTB TC upholstery
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,February 12, 2023, 07:16:32 AM »
The S1 came with a cigarette lighter.  None of the later ones did as far as I know.  As everyone dipped into the same parts supply bin, the fact knobs match means little.  Cars photographed for brochures are often preproduction versions and may not have the correct final specification.  Press cars were specially prepped and may include extras -- D Jenkins' test S2 had twin tanks with manual valves to control them, for example.  This kind of skullduggery was the normal state of affairs for the UK press.  Tests from other countries will be more representative as examples would have been drawn from the distributors stock and they would not have the same resources and capabilities as the factory.  This is one reason why British cars were always slower in other country's press reports.

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,February 12, 2023, 09:24:39 AM »
The one on the right is for wipers, it is three position and rotates (off, slow, fast) and push to pump screen wash.

That sounds better than what I have. My wipers have three speeds too but they are: off, really slow, and slow!  :)

Online SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #17 on: Sunday,February 12, 2023, 03:23:17 PM »
The one on the right is for wipers, it is three position and rotates (off, slow, fast) and push to pump screen wash.

That sounds better than what I have. My wipers have three speeds too but they are: off, really slow, and slow!  :)

It's all relative, obviously I've never used them as it never rains in Yorkshire! ....or is it because i still need to sort out the clutch?

My screen washer also takes a while to recover between pushes too.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Monday,February 13, 2023, 12:16:27 PM »
I heard back from Andy at Lotus.

Here is the text of the email I sent him. I also attached the two pictures of interiors that I posted earlier:

Hi Andy,

If you have a few minutes could you correct or confirm my memory? My memory is that the Europa never came with upholstered consoles and that even in the later Twin Cam Specials with the dressed up champagne interior, the seats, the door cards, and the elbow pad were upholstered in champagne but the console was left bare black vinyl as the earlier Europa Twin Cam and Twin Cam Specials were. There are some on this side of the pond suggest that some consoles were upholstered from the factory. The attached picture from a book published in 1980, "The Lotus Elan and Europa" by John Bolster seems to bolster the case for an upholstered console (lower picture). My memory of the later cars is exemplified in the upper picture. Is my memory correct?

I'll understand if you don't have time to research this, but I would really appreciate your time, if you can spare it, for this very trivial request.

Thanks!

[I should note that I didn't remember that SilverBeast is from the UK when I sent him that email! my apologies, SliverBeast!]

And this is his reply. He attached a copy of the same brochure for which MAK supplied a link earlier and a letter from the Lotus distributor to the dealers he serviced announcing the '74 1/2 model year changes (of which I've attached a screen scrape):

Dear Jim,

Unfortunately without full build records and very little reference material I cannot say for sure.

You can see the two colour variations from the Europa Special brochure attached. I know for 1974 the interior trim was revised, is the car with full oatmeal trim a 1974 car?

Regards,

I've convinced myself that my memory is accurate that the factory never upholstered the consoles for a production car. I think if it had been done, it would have been done on the later models and the dealer communication does not mention it. Also, I think promotional material released by Lotus would certainly show the car in the best and dressiest light and there doesn't seem to be any that shows an upholstered dash.

Having said all that, if anybody is convinced that their car has an upholstered console, I won't argue. First, it's not that important to me and second, there is still some room for doubt.

So that's my 2ยข!

Online SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #20 on: Monday,February 13, 2023, 01:04:59 PM »
It's  definitely one of the later ones as it has the gas struts and map pocket. Build plate starts 7311, so issued around November 1973. It wasn't registered until 01/11/1974 though.

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Monday,February 13, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »
Yours was sold rather quickly! Mine was built in June '73 and wasn't sold till I bought it in May of '75.

Online SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #22 on: Monday,February 13, 2023, 02:16:16 PM »
Yours was sold rather quickly! Mine was built in June '73 and wasn't sold till I bought it in May of '75.

Maybe they got a headwind crossing the pond....

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Monday,February 13, 2023, 04:04:41 PM »
 :D

Maybe but I suspect that it sat out in the weather for almost two years at the distributor. New Orleans is hot and humid and it wrecked the metal flake green paint as well as some of the glue used in the interior. The distributor had several cars that he sold at a discount to finally get rid of them. My total invoice was $7050.00 including the 5-speed, taxes, etc. The suggested list would have been almost $8000 after everything was figured. The sale was widely advertised and a guy from Los Angeles flew into New Orleans to take advantage of the deal but the poor guy had something like 12 DD shoes! I guess he figured a way to drive it home (about 2000 miles)!

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,February 14, 2023, 07:24:54 AM »
My 1974 100% ORIGINAL TCS does not have a cigarette lighter

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #25 on: Friday,March 31, 2023, 12:03:31 PM »
As posted today, what is surely factory centre consul upholstered.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385514696031

Offline mrwierdwrench

« Reply #26 on: Thursday,May 04, 2023, 08:47:23 PM »
I own 2 1974 Europa's, neither have upholstered consul's. If anyone has a source for upholstered consuls in black, I would be interested! Also looking for a windshield.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #27 on: Friday,May 05, 2023, 07:03:36 AM »
I own 2 1974 Europa's, neither have upholstered consul's. If anyone has a source for upholstered consuls in black, I would be interested! Also looking for a windshield.

Banks has a trimmed center console

https://www.lotus-supplies.com/parts/interiors/fittings-interiors/centre-console-incl-arm-pad-trimmed-tc/

Not sure about the fit. I bought their trimmed dash pad and I had to modify it extensively.

I have several new windshields. Unfortunately I got hit with import fees so the price is kind of high, but they are genuine clear Pilkington. I will PM you a price. I'd prefer not to ship them it if at all possible.