Author Topic: WTB TC upholstery  (Read 1301 times)

Offline kram350kram

WTB TC upholstery
« on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 07:28:17 PM »
WTB center console upholstery, not the armrest but upholstery from the dash to end of the console.

Offline BDA

Re: WTB TC upholstery
« Reply #1 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 07:32:19 PM »
The console was not upholstered originally. When you see that, it was done for/by the owner.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #2 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 11:00:04 PM »
I have seen a number of very late cars with what seems factory original upholstered consul.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 05:26:25 AM »
 Thought someone might have a used piece?

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 08:05:28 AM »
I've a November 73 built Special. It has an upholstered centre console. It matches the door cards and seats (though back and base cushion are some sort of velour?). It also has the matching map pocket between the seats and the factory engine cover lift kit..

I've only had it since  2019 so can't guarantee these are original but they seem to be.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 08:43:08 AM »
My 73 TCS had original upholstered center console and map pocket. I’ve had it since 1989. I think all TCS and maybe TC had them upholstered. But we’ll get a better answer soon.

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 09:11:08 AM »
If someone can advise how to attach an image, I have an ORIGINAL UNALTERED 1973 TCS that shows it is upholstered

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »
Covering the console is a very common addition that owners do but now you all have me questioning my memory.

I used to hang around the Lotus distributor in New Orleans in the middle seventies (I bought my car in ‘75). It’s possible that the ‘74 1/2 Europas, the ones with the champagne interior and seats with cloth inserts, gas struts for the engine cover, and the map pocket MIGHT have had upholstered consoles but I don’t think so. My memory was that they were the same black vinyl consoles all the other TCs had.

Adding a map pocket, gas struts, or even seats with cloth inserts would be fairly straightforward I would think but I think upholstering the console cover would be fairly labor intensive, especially since the area around the gear shift doesn’t lend itself to being covered. Many that are covered have an extra upholstered piece that fits that area to cover how the upholstery cannot follow the contours of the console there very well.

I could be wrong but I don’t think so. The issue can be resolved by emailing Andy Graham at Lotus.

Bud, please attach a picture of your console. Below the message box it says “Attachments and other options.” Click on that. It will display a button to “Choose a file.” Click that to choose the file. Be forewarned that if your picture has too high a resolution, you’ll have to reduce that. One way of doing that is here: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 10:44:32 AM by BDA »

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 10:45:08 AM by SilverBeast »

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 11:28:08 AM »
I could be mistaken about this.

I looked at some old Europa books I have that were published around the time Europas were in production and I found these two pictures in the book, "The Lotus Elan and Europa" by John Bolster. It was published in 1980 so I will accept that the pictures are almost certainly production cars. The possibility that someone would dress up a car that is not much more than eight years old is possible but not that likely.

The top picture is how I remember the later cars with the champagne interior looked. The upholstered items (the seats, door cards, and elbow pad) are all champagne colored the console is black. The bottom picture shows a '72 (because of the idiot lights, in '73 they went with more and rectangular ones) with an upholstered console. As I say, it's possible that the owner had his console upholstered but given the age of the car, I'd admit that it is not that likely.

While I'm not entirely ready to throw my memory under the bus (that's already happened to it so many times already, it's very sad!), I will gladly do so if the fact that the factory upholstered the consoles is authenticated. I've emailed Andy Graham to see if he can clarify the situation. I'll post his reply.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #10 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 01:23:55 PM »
The bottom picture looks like my 73 special - remember UK RHD cars kept with the non US dash to the end.

It even looks like it has a cigarette lighter to the left of the radio, like mine does.  The top shot shows the blanking plate more normally fitted in this location.

I also have a picture in "Old Motor" from 1981, that shows "the Luxurious interior of a late, five speed Special" also champagne, with matching trimmed centre console. It also looks to have a cigarette lighter and the map pocket - if it's the same car that is on the cover.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 03:07:40 PM »
The top pic appears to have window switches with the chrome trim surround.
I thought those were only on the S2's?

Also, no switch labels on the top pic?

Offline MAK

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 03:23:15 PM »
"The best to you each morning"

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 08:20:22 PM »
SilverBeast, does yours have an actual cigarette lighter? i think what is actually in the picture at the bottom is a switch but a slightly different style. The top picture has a similar style switch to the right of the radio for headlights, I imagine. I didn't notice the blanking plate. I've never seen that before. Maybe the owner deleted the rheostat.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #14 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 11:30:17 PM »
It has a cigarette lighter. I've mentioned it before (not sure where, I also use the groups.io and Lotus Europa and Lotus Europas Facebook pages) and some people were quite adament a cigarette lighter was never fitted as standard. It isn't shown on any of the wiring diagrams I have seen, but the knob matches the style of the wiper switch and the Federal light and dimmer switches as far as I can tell. The lighter itself seems to be the similar to those as fitted to elan/cortina from using a mirror and Google!

The one on the right is for wipers, it is three position and rotates (off, slow, fast) and push to pump screen wash.

I believe US cars have a dimmer for dash lights, UK cars have a rocker switch (top left above fan switch) to turn on/off the auxilliary instrument lights (I think the speedo/rev counter stay on).

Head lights are a three position rocker (off/side/headlights,plus the stalk for dip/full beam) just above wiper switch.

The final rocker switch far left next to cigarette lighter is two position on/off for single speed cabin fan.