Author Topic: WTB: Steering wheel hub/adapter or wheel  (Read 3091 times)

Offline RobbartK

• 1970 S2 eBay purchase. His name is Woodstock.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel hub/adapter or wheel
« Reply #15 on: Friday,July 14, 2023, 09:12:57 PM »
Lotus Aficionados, I am the proud owner of Woodstock, a 1970 S2. I am nearing completion of a total mechanical (not body) restoration. I am 6'2" tall and 230 lbs. That's 2.44m and 104 kilos to most of the world. I am interested in a flip / tilt adapter for my steering wheel. My wife has already video'd me getting in the car. It is blackmail material. I am in need of specs in order to find an adapter that will work. I have not landed on a 5, 6, 9 or 11 bolt steering wheel. That is a non-technical decision to make. Do any of you have specs on the spline and / or recommendations of suppliers that will sell me a flip / tilt adapter with the correct fitment? There are lots of NON specific options. Thanks.
Greeting from Woodstock and me.
Rico = 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Idefix = 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso.
ButtrBus was my 1985 VW Vanagon.
JAKRBT was my 1975 MGB roadster.
MyJul was my 1999 VW Cabrio.
I never named my 1948 Ford F1... my wife made me sell it.
My wife drives a 1994 Ford Crown Vic and loves it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Friday,July 14, 2023, 09:29:06 PM »
Sorry I can’t help you with your steering wheel issues but I wanted to make sure I

:Welcome:

Offline RobbartK

« Reply #17 on: Friday,July 14, 2023, 09:59:47 PM »
Thanks BDA. It's the start of a new adventure.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #18 on: Friday,July 14, 2023, 10:52:28 PM »
Hi, and another  :Welcome:

Although not the Europa, there have been folks who have fitted QR steering wheels to their Elans and as it's basically the same column it should be transferable.  Some old threads to give you ideas...

https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19788
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22147

Mostly old threads and some involve drastic mods where you weld the adapter in place, not something I'd be keen on doing personally. It might be worth checking the Triumph forums to see if there's anything available for the Spitfire/GT6 or anywhere that sells motorsport parts.

I don't know how the geometry is affected with the "weld on" options in the Elan threads but from what I've seen a Q/R wheel usually moves it back towards you so I'd check how much you could afford the wheel to come back or how much adjustment you have left before buying something.

The original owner of my car was apparently a tall guy and he fitted a small Astrali wheel so he could get in and out.  When I got the car it was still fitted and I thought it was too small for the car but after a few miles it was ok - the steering isn't heavy on these cars and it worked out.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,July 15, 2023, 04:58:30 AM »
Welcome!

First, next time start a new thread with a subject line that better matches your request.  This will give you maximum exposure.

I have fitted two removable steering wheels now, one to my Europa, and the other to my Seven.

On the Europa, I went with the bolt-on solution.  Lifeline makes a QR adapter for Moto Lita Steering wheels.  It moves the steering wheel roughly 2" closer.  It is a very simple install except for wiring up horn button.

I modified the horn wire from this:

And made up my own horn button with a spark plug boot, spring and brass nut:

It all work perfectly.

On the Seven, the horn button is on the dash and space is tight, so I went with a weld on system.  I bought a used, upper, steering shaft section of the 'bay for the conversion.  I modified an original steering wheel to keep it looking stock.

Here's a video of removing and refitting the wheel.  It really is as slick as that:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Seven-S3/i-FhtPvtf/A

« Last Edit: Saturday,July 15, 2023, 05:01:52 AM by jbcollier »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,July 16, 2023, 06:15:58 AM »
Look at Joes Racing removable steering wheel hub and spline adapter part #13405. You can adapt without welding, fits the stock steering shaft and the whole affair is very compact hidden behind the wheel trim ring. The only real mod is a needed drilled and tapped  1/4-20 bolt in the steering shaft to retain the adapter spline.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,July 16, 2023, 07:28:21 AM »
Look at Joes Racing removable steering wheel hub and spline adapter part #13405. You can adapt without welding, fits the stock steering shaft and the whole affair is very compact hidden behind the wheel trim ring. The only real mod is a needed drilled and tapped  1/4-20 bolt in the steering shaft to retain the adapter spline.

Nice and easy. I started looking and they sell a 5 and 6 bolt adapter for Momo/Sparco wheels too.

https://www.joesracing.com/product/momo-quick-disconnect-adapter-ring/

Quick disconnect you posted
 https://www.joesracing.com/product/quarter-midget-kart-steering-wheel-quick-disconnect/

Offline RobbartK

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,July 18, 2023, 06:44:18 PM »
Thanks for all of your welcome notes. This is the first "forum" I have joined. I am trying on my teenager skill set after many years of adulting. You have inspired me to get better at it! ALSO, a note of thanks for your replies. It appears I have more options than I had imagined. I have some reading to do. I'll be heating up the credit card this weekend. Breaking out the tools will follow shortly thereafter. Now stop reading this stuff and get driving!
« Last Edit: Tuesday,July 18, 2023, 06:59:58 PM by RobbartK »

Offline Clifton

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 11:57:16 AM »
I picked up a Joe's quarter midget quick release and Momo hub adapter. The 1/4 midget adapter is 3 x 1.5" bolt circle.

Quarter Midget steering wheels are 3 x 1.5" with 1/4" bolts. All other 3 bolt steering wheels are 3 x 1.75" with 5/16" bolts. Back to Summit it went. I did find this one for a micro 600.
https://www.hyperracing.com/Tri-Lock-Splined-QR-Hex-for-5-8-shaft

I finished putting my car back together and column in so I never ordered the Hyper racing one to verify.

It still needs a hole drilled and tapped in the center. It looks like the standard disconnect spline diameter too. The Joe's/Tanner quarter midget quick release was much smaller.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 08:09:55 PM »
With these quick release adaptors, how much closer does it bring the wheel?
I ask for two reasons:

1. My assumption is that the stalks will need to be bent to bring them back within reach.
2. A mate of mine had a dished steering wheel on his Europa and I found it decidedly more comfortable from and ergonomics point of view.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,August 16, 2023, 06:58:37 AM »
If you fit an adapter between the steering wheel mount and the wheel itself, about an 1.5” or so.  It you mate the w/r adapter to the wheel itself, then none.

The steering wheel and switch mount is adjustable on any Europa.  It’s not easy to adjust but it can be done.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,August 16, 2023, 02:39:21 PM »
The Joe's/Tanner 1/4 midget adapter and a 1/2" thick Amazon adapter that needs redrilled to 3x1.5" is about 1.5" thick. My non quick release Momo/Sparco adapter is 2.5" thick. With a slightly dished Sparco L360 wheel, my turn signal end is 2.25" to the back of the wheel. It isn't too much.  Sliding the column in and out is easy enough to get the wheel to your liking.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #27 on: Friday,August 18, 2023, 01:00:57 AM »
Thanks gents.

I adapted Triumph 2500 stalks to my S2 partly to ensure the horn operates 100% of the time but electric washers were welcome, too. Only later did I discover the TCS uses something similar.

These can be modified/bent by carefully extracting the splined stalks proper which are hollow to accommodate a wire for the end buttons. I can still adjust the column as per the stock provision, so I'll take a closer look. My stalks might now be a little short to accomodate a large gap easily.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #28 on: Friday,August 18, 2023, 09:59:00 AM »
My S1 has probably crossed the border into resto-mod territory — though it wasn’t my intention at the start.  It’s because I like to drive the thing too darn much.  I found that working the throttle and brakes had my knee dimming the headlights.  So, my stalks are gone.  In their place are wireless buttons on the steering wheel.  Works really, really well.  But, as I said, crosses a line; lovely to drive though.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #29 on: Saturday,August 19, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »
Yeah, my knees hit things. I might be a bit pedantic but I also like things to feel right and work right.
I'm replacing the S2 firewall flush with the fibreglass instead of on top which will provide about 1/2 inch more rearward seat travel - I'm a bit over 6' 2" so everything helps. That, of course, will place me further from the steering wheel which is not helping and hence the interest in this.