Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Making Stock Front Control Arms Adjustable

(1/3) > >>

cazman:
I am still plugging along prepping my TC for Vintage racing. In the Jensen Competition Manual they suggest:

"With the lowered suspension settings, it is necessary to decrease the negative camber of
the front wheels. This was achieved by moving the lower suspension arms outer pivot point
inwards. This was carried out by slotting the existing holes in the arms and installing drilled
plates to locate pivot in desired position (0.158 in. per l  of camber change). The plates fitting
securely in channel of lower suspension arms."

Has anyone ever seen this? I can do the slot in the arm. I suppose that I could pre-make a series plates with a hole drilled in each one just a bit more inboard than the previous. Then when I align, I can pick the best plate to work for the desired alignment.

I see that my holes are not perfect circles any more, so new holes could help in any case.

BDA:
I have seen where others have done that. I believe some were even able, either by trig or trial and error, were able to assemble and mark a collection of plates for a range of different cambers.

Keep in mind that at the time, SCCA rules for production racing did not allow for alternate suspension pieces so Jensen was limited to that method. The simpler method would be to get adjustable upper A-arms. Lotus Supplies sells them. I presume other places like Spyder, Dave Bean, SJ Sports Cars do too.

cazman:
I would, but I do not think those would be allowed still from my understanding of the rules.

BDA:
In that case, Jensen's solution is the best.

TurboFource:
I think I would tack weld the plates in place so they can't move?

Or weld up the holes and drill new ones in the new location...they would look "stock" then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version