Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Faulty Distributor Cam Lobes

(1/2) > >>

4129R:
After driving 4259R for 25 miles, it came to a halt 2 miles from home, and won't start.

I checked all the jets in the 40DCOE Webers, the float level, the pump action was squirting properly, the 4 spark plugs were clean and firing, but the engine just would not start.

I checked the timing, and it was slightly out on #1 cylinder, so I set the light to go out at 8'BTDC, so that is when the points are opening, and the coil would be firing.

I tried to start it, but nothing.

I checked the timing again, but this time, by mistake, I was checking the timing on #4 cylinder, not #1.

I have a vertical line drawn on the big alternator pulley that is perpendicular at TDC on #1, and is 180' out when firing on #4 cylinder, so I was checking #4 thinking it was #1.

#4 was firing at TDC so I rocked the car in 1st gear, and checked #1, and that was firing at 8'BTDC. I have no way of knowing what the reading was on #2 and #3 cylinders, as I was checking TDC from the markings on the flywheel.

I have now fitted another distributor, and timed it at 8' BTDC. I am charging up the battery again to see if it will burst into life. If not, I have run out of ideas.

I have never known a distributor to have faulty cam lobes. I checked to see if the shaft was wobbly, but it seemed to be perfectly straight so no eccentricity from faulty bearings.

4129R:
Whoopee, another success today. First, DVLA seem to have acknowledged they made a mistake with 3089R, then I got 4259R started after finding out the distributor lobes were wonky.

I am on a roll, what about buying some lottery tickets for tonight !!! £130m jackpot.

P.S. Lottery tickets bought ...............

dakazman:
 :beerchug:
  Funny how our europas' spread joy.  :FUNNY:
 Pass some of that good luck over this way.
Dakazman

Bainford:

--- Quote from: 4129R on Friday,April 26, 2024, 06:32:35 AM ---I am on a roll, what about buying some lottery tickets for tonight !!! £130m jackpot.

--- End quote ---
Awesome! Just think of how many more Europas you could buy with that.

4129R:

--- Quote from: Bainford on Friday,April 26, 2024, 10:04:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: 4129R on Friday,April 26, 2024, 06:32:35 AM ---I am on a roll, what about buying some lottery tickets for tonight !!! £130m jackpot.

--- End quote ---
Awesome! Just think of how many more Europas you could buy with that.

--- End quote ---

Evijas are only $2.3m each !!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version