Author Topic: It's not easy being green - 1971 TC  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Cheguava

Re: It's not easy being green - 1971 TC
« Reply #90 on: Today at 12:10:09 AM »
Am I missing a knack to removing the locks or is it just PlusGas and brute force?

If every effort with a spanner and screwdriver fails, you will have to cut one flat back to the thread with a Dremel or similar small grinder. Once you have cut through completely, all the pressure is relieved on the thread and it should undo easily. The problem is corroded metal is bigger than uncorroded metal, so it stops it turning purely due to size.

If you need a new large nut, I have plenty spare as I changed 14 door locks for new.
Thanks for the tip - will have a good go with my assistant, and if that fails, get the Dremel out.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: It's not easy being green - 1971 TC
« Reply #91 on: Today at 02:02:31 AM »
Am I missing a knack to removing the locks or is it just PlusGas and brute force?

If every effort with a spanner and screwdriver fails, you will have to cut one flat back to the thread with a Dremel or similar small grinder. Once you have cut through completely, all the pressure is relieved on the thread and it should undo easily. The problem is corroded metal is bigger than uncorroded metal, so it stops it turning purely due to size.

If you need a new large nut, I have plenty spare as I changed 14 door locks for new.
Thanks for the tip - will have a good go with my assistant, and if that fails, get the Dremel out.

I had a similar problem with similar nuts holding the wiper box to the body where the wiper arm attaches. That one was much easier to get at, but just would not turn with a spanner.