Author Topic: Fedral vs UK door cards on a TC  (Read 173 times)

Online berni29

Fedral vs UK door cards on a TC
« on: Monday,April 01, 2024, 01:09:57 PM »
Hi Guys

I wondered if there is a difference between the US Fedral door cards and the UK spec door cards on a TC or TCS. In fact are the door cards the same on TC's and TCS's?

The reason I ask is that I have a Fedral TCS arriving later this month (I live in the UK) and it is missing a door card, I am not 100% sure which one, but I think the passenger RHS one.

I saw a forum members VERY lovely UK spec 1975 TCS this morning and he pointed out to me (amongst many other details) that the passenger side doors have a speaker in them, with none on the drivers side. So the door(s) must have a corresponding aperture. Do the doors themselves both have the same aperture regardless of country? I'm guessing that they do.

So I will very probably be needing a black RHS door card. Are such things hard to come by?

Thanks in advance

Berni

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Fedral vs UK door cards on a TC
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 01, 2024, 01:44:26 PM »
I think Banks have them. Federal cars have the cut outs both sides in the cards for speakers, normally covered with the vinyl trim, black or the cream colour, I forget what it is called, Oatmeal, I think.

I have a spare door card somewhere, but I think it is the left side.

The actual fibreglass on the doors both have the cut-outs to access the hinge mechanisms, and the electrical connection to the window motors.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 02, 2024, 12:20:19 AM by 4129R »

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #2 on: Monday,April 01, 2024, 01:51:26 PM »
Hi Guys

I wondered if there is a difference between the US Fedral door cards and the UK spec door cards on a TC or TCS. In fact are the door cards the same on TC's and TCS's?

The reason I ask is that I have a Fedral TCS arriving later this month (I live in the UK) and it is missing a door card, I am not 100% sure which one, but I think the passenger RHS one.

I saw a forum members VERY lovely UK spec 1975 TCS this morning and he pointed out to me (amongst many other details) that the passenger side doors have a speaker in them, with none on the drivers side. So the door(s) must have a corresponding aperture. Do the doors themselves both have the same aperture regardless of country? I'm guessing that they do.

So I will very probably be needing a black RHS door card. Are such things hard to come by?

Thanks in advance

Berni

Essentially the same part number (there are prefixes which, in reality, only identify minor trim differences).  After all this time, pretty sure most have holes cut out for speakers on both doors.  054B0721 left door, 054B0722 right door for the S2, for the TC/S, .  There may be differences in the armrest trim, but, the fiberglass backing is the same.  If you don't want the speakers, you can have the card retrimmed (it will still have the hole in the backing but you'll never see it...) or if it you do want speakers, have at it. 

But, they are the same backing; just the vinyl trim may be different. 

The online parts manuals are a resource to tease out where the parts come from: prefixed 26/36 Elan, 46/54/65 Renault Europa, 74 Twin Cam variants, with some others in there (don't know if there is a 14 prefix part in the Europa, but then, I haven't memorized the parts books, just look at them from time to time....;))

Gratuitous plug for the manual mirror I've been maintaining since '07: http://www.lotuseuropa.us/lotus-europa.com/manuals
« Last Edit: Monday,April 01, 2024, 01:54:03 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Online berni29

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 02, 2024, 01:42:29 PM »
Hi Guys

Thank you so much for the information. I take delivery of the car on the 20th of this month so will know the full story then. Will do a hello post with photos after the event.

All the best

Berni