Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

Lotus 62 ISH

(1/6) > >>

61Elite:
I have recently finished work on a car I call a Lotus  62 ISH.  I have been working on it for about 2 1/2 years.  Started out with a 1984 Esprit Turbo.  Frame was shortened 2 inches and narrowed 5 inches.  I picked up a derelict Europa body that a friend had hanging in his garage, and  it all took off from there.  After about 90 yards of glass mat and 50 gallons of resin;  a little thought and a lot  of sanding,  here is what I came up with.  The original 62 (2 were built) was raced in 1968, and was the test vehicle for the 900 series engines, used in the Jensen Healey and the Esprit.  One car is in California and the other in Japan.  Fortunately,  Alex Bollinger was gracious enough to send photos of his car, and with those in hand plus internet photos, I was able to work out the general shape of the car.  Of course compromises had to be made, since the original  62 was on a space frame  and my car was on the Esprit frame.  Also the 62 shared very few parts with the Europa.  The plan right now is to make it to the LOG this year.  Actually, my car has very little Europa content.  Basically, some of the fiberglass and doors.  The rest is Esprit, but it is almost all Lotus.  It really drives well, with the 2.2 liter engine and 5 speed gearbox.  I just thought the group might like to see it.

SwiftDB4:
Wow, what an accomplishment! Nice job merging an Espirit and a Europa, but definitely a 62 look.

BDA:
Wow is right!! That's exquisite! I'd certainly like to see more pictures of it!

I'm curious why you didn't convert one of Richard's 62 bodies. Did you think it was going to be too expensive to ship it across the pond or just as much work or was it because you don't have enough to do or you like a challenge? Did you do all the fabrication work on it?

Also, did you use the All Bright molding for your windshield trim?

You will definitely cause a stir at the LOG! Your car is amazing and you should be really proud of it!

JR73:
Wow again!!
You've done a fantastic job of capturing the original 62 body shape there, that's the best 62 replica I've ever seen.
Also love that you've used the Esprit running gear, inspired and what a great link to the original 2!
I agree with BDA, more pics would be great.

dakazman:
Triple WOW, the mods you accomplished are beyond belief. Well done.
Going back to the pictures again to just take them in.
Dakazman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version