Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

Resurrecting 3923R

(1/5) > >>

Grumblebuns:
After hibernating for at least since 1993, I decided that it's time to get 3923R back on the road. Before I parked it for the last time in the early 1990's, 3923R was at least in running condition. The only issues that I can recall was not being able to pass California emissions and non functioning brake boosters. After sitting idle for the past twenty plus years I'm sure other systems will have deteriorated.

The first step was to move 3923R from it's long time spot in the far corner of the garage to the front. Spent most of yesterday cleaning up the garage to be able to move 3923R to it's work space position up front. Place both the front and rear on ramps/cribbing to easily get to the underside of the car.

My initial scope of work is to swap out the engine and tranny. I have a spare dry sump Big Valve ready to go in along with a spare 365 tranny. I will also need to finish removing/bypassing the boosters and swap out the master cylinder with a Ford Courier identical to the one I did with my S2. The final work item is to redo the front suspension.

After sitting for 20 plus years, mice got in to the interior, so I have to clean up all of the mice shit plus a mummified carcass of a dead rat. I'll post updates and pictures as I progress.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

3929R:
Exciting Joji!
What will your front end suspension redo include? That is also on my to-do list.

4129R:
Is that L18 Glacier Blue, or L26 Olympic Blue?

Very pretty colour. 

BDA:
It looks like a nice car, Joji! I hope you get her on the road without too much trouble! Is it going to be a driver or are you going to sell it?

When do you start work on the YBB car?

Grumblebuns:
Front end work is just doing the basics. I already installed lowered Carerra shocks and springs in the 80s so I'm hoping that the seals on the shocks haven't deteriorated and start leaking when I have it back on the road. The rest of the work is installing new bushings and find some undamaged lower control arms.

The paint code stamped on the front plenum plate is L18. It appears to be a fairly rare color. I don't believe I've seen any other Elan or Europa with this particular color. To me it looks like more a very light turquoise than any shade of blue.

BDA, I took a long hiatus away from the YBB Europa, probably a year, to work on other projects. I just recommenced work just last week again on the car. The oil tank got installed just before I took my break so I measured the amount of hose that I'll need for the dry sump system, approximately 21'. This is just from the oil pump run to the oil tank and back. I still need measure and run a line to the oil cooler. I'll order the braided hose next week. At least mice stayed away from this car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version