Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Lotus Europa Race Car Collection

<< < (9/15) > >>

BDA:
Your car keeps getting better and better! Good luck on the track!

:lotus:

SwiftDB4:
I have no idea what your vintage restrictions are, but I found use of a 47 style snorkel with Weber airbox very beneficial for hp increase.

StephenH:

--- Quote from: SwiftDB4 on Thursday,July 21, 2016, 03:09:48 PM ---I found use of a 47 style snorkel with Weber airbox very beneficial for hp increase.

--- End quote ---

I'm not interested in the vertical snorkel so much, but interested in how your airbox arrangement might be constructed.
On my S2 I have only a single fuel tank and think building an airbox into the R/H buttress with a NACA style duct might be worthwhile.

Any pictures?

SwiftDB4:
Attached are pictures of the airboxes for my Zetec twin Weber engine. Box with foam on top meets the snorkel on the deck lid. Box with a horizontal tube inlet is similar to what you suggested. After my original black S1 photo in previous post I added 47 style side NACA ducts and repainted the car. NACA ducts didn't work nearly as well. In fact NACA ducting was inferior to no airbox at all with just sock filters on airhorns. Power loss was very obvious especially above 5000rpm. If you read Carroll Smith's book 'Tune to Win' he details limitations of NACA ducts especially if they are further back on car body. Airflow pulls away from the body farther back you go. Snorkels look strange, but are the most effective in ram air for the carbs.

StephenH:
Thanks, might have to throw some pitot tubes around the car and find some high pressure points.
One for an airbox and one for the oil cooler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version