Lotus Europa Forums > Off Topic Subjects

Best way to remove bearing material "Stain" from crank?

(1/3) > >>

Richard48Y:
I have a TR6 engine that was built for a racing car.
It has some trick pieces in it.
But it also sat never run for a very long time.
I have to be glad it was never run as the builder made some errors that would have been fatal to it, white lithium grease is not assembly lube!
I've taken it apart for cleaning and careful reassembly.

The issue I need to address is that there is a very thin layer of bearing material adhered to the crank journals at random spots.
Polishing with fine emory paper and crocus cloth is a given.
But first I would like to remove the bearing material stain chemically to help ensure the surface remains even.
I am looking for suggestions that will not etch the steel or incite rust.

Completing this and getting it back into the chassis will provide me a salable asset to fund finishing the Europa.

dakazman:
  Nothing comes to mind chemically, have you tried scotch brite pads or Dremel pads
Search / 40Pcs 25mm Scotch Brite Scouring Pad Polishing Mop 3mm Shank Nylon Fiber Wheels.
  Emery and crocus is very abrasive.
Dakazman

4129R:
Wire wool ?

BDA:
If it is something stuck on the crank, would a credit card scratch it off?

My engine building buddy showed me his journal polisher which is a cork covered belt. I think I would try that first since it seems the least invasive. If I used wire wool (we normally think about it as steel wool in the States), I think I would use copper wool since it's softer.

Richard48Y:
I would just send it to a local machine shop to be done if they were not all either closed down or months away from getting to it.
I will try a couple of test.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version