Lotus Europa Forums > Off Topic Subjects

I'm going Seven shopping

(1/4) > >>

jbcollier:
I’d like a roadster again and I’m going to check out a ’68 Lotus Seven series 3 with the base crossflow, supposedly in largely original condition.  I have all the books and am going to check the frame carefully (front by the rear mounting point of the lower arms, rear at the axle mounts).  The engine is still stock so the running gear should be fine other than the usual consumables.  Any advice from listers with Seven experience?

BDA:
The only experience I have with 7s is when a friend let me drive his. Driving it was about the most fun you can have on the street with four wheels!

4129R:
Take goggles/helmet and warm clothing.

Wire wool can remove the flies from your teeth, but plays havoc with your gums.

RoddyMac:
Well, I have a set of chassis drawings should you need them.  Definitely check the bracket at the base of the rear axle casing and see if the bushings are in good shape.  Dear old dad had the bracket part ways with the axle on his early Cateringvan, luckily at low speed.  The axle actually pulled the driveshaft out of the gearbox and left a large bulge on the tunnel.  I hate to thing what would've happened at speed.  Also have a look at the upper trailing arm mounts at the chassis end. 

The unfortunate thing about the Lotus built S2/3 chassis is it does lack the triangulation that the S1 had, and what Caterham added, so there could be some chassis issues if the previous owners have "improved" it.  The steering rack mounts aren't the best but can be easily modified to make them stronger (Caterham did this).  The lower chassis tubes are hidden in the cockpit area, so no easy way of inspecting them without removing the ally cladding. 

Other than that, they are very simple to work on, very fun to drive, and if it's a crossflow then relatively easy to make decent power.  The single downdraft, though stock, makes next to no power.  I was very unimpressed with the one that came through the shop in stock form. 

Good luck with the search and please post pics if you do get one.

buzzer:
Great one. As you already covered not much to go wrong. Chassis and panels is the main thing. Cross flow lump is easily tuneable. You can alway twin cam head it. But to be honest you can as much power with the cross flow.. I’m jealous. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version