Author Topic: Europa FS (no affiliation)  (Read 3004 times)

Offline cal44

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Europa FS (no affiliation)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 03, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
And I see it has the updated and more reliable Lotus Parking brake Mike, a house brick under the wheel   :)

That looks a good project to me, all the important bits are there and it doesn't look to have been abused, just neglected. Over here I think that would already have been snapped up by someone calling on the guy with a roll of cash.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 04, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »
I do notice a bit of the price difference on these between the U.K, Europe and the States.  There was, what appeared to be a nice TC in Arizona last month for similar money. 

The parts alone are with it.

mike
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 04, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »
Yup, worth the money for sure for someone looking for a decent project. And I agree Mike, one of the best colours ever  ;)
I did notice, though, that the photo showing the boot insert is not the same car, but a much nicer one.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 04, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »
Well spotted sir !  I'd picked up on the different colored plug leads but assumed someone was just trying to get the engine running. But no, you're right the carb filters are different so either it's the same car at a different period, or more likely as you say, a different car.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 04, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
Sold.  Once again, had it been closer.  $3500..............dang
United States Marines

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 07, 2014, 01:44:08 PM »
I am guilty for this one.

It seems to have been stored outside with the screen out for some considerable time. Everything has rusted, pedals, drivers seat etc.

The paint has flaked just about all over the whole car.

I fear this will be a long project.

Alex (in Norfolk UK, the home of Lotus).

Offline 3929R

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,May 07, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
I am guilty for this one.

It seems to have been stored outside with the screen out for some considerable time. Everything has rusted, pedals, drivers seat etc.

The paint has flaked just about all over the whole car.

I fear this will be a long project.

Alex (in Norfolk UK, the home of Lotus).
Alex, Congratulations! 
Is 4129R your current car?
 :Welcome:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline 4129R

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,May 07, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »
4129R was bought from James Cowan in Chicago last year. I have changed the steering wheel to the original, renewed the dashboard, changed the lights to UK spec (orange rear indicators), and had the seats door cards, and centre console re-trimmed in oatmeal, the original colour.

I took it to the Lotus factory last Friday when a friend of mine was racing in a sprint meeting around the Lotus test track, to take some photos of where she was made, but photos are apparently strictly forbidden of anything anywhere on Lotus factory land, so I had to content myself with just looking at the cars around the factory. Apparently if I had taken any photo of anything, security would have ejected me straight away, so I had to hide my camera quickly.

There were 3 people at the sprint meeting who owned Europas in the 70's who came to have a look at her to reminisce on old memories.

In 1978 I used to own JEX591N, a 1975 Special which was the 6th last Europa ever made, but when children came along, I had to sell her in 1979 for £4,500, and I am now re-living my youth 35 years after I sold her. Since I sold her, I have only seen 1 Europa in the UK, parked in London, and I live in Norfolk and work in London, so I should see a fair selection of cars in my travels. The car was a UK spec car, with gas struts on the engine cover, a US federal bodyshell with the side repeater lights front and rear, (they were using up all the bits they had left around the factory), and an oatmeal interior. JEX590N was a car Lotus kept in their museum, until they went bust and had to sell the cars, and that car sold at a Coys auction in July 1998  for around £18,000 = $29,000. I presume it was very low mileage. See:- http://www.motorbase.com/auctionlot/by-id/1844128394.

I will soon be taking the brown car I bought from South Carolina apart. I cannot even move the drivers seat it is so badly rusted in its runner, so I fear much careful drilling will be needed to get the sliding rails out. I don't know how bad the rest of the car is until I take the dashboard out. The windshield was held in by silver duck tape, and when taking the tape off, most of the brown paint came with it. The front cover over the spare wheel (hood?) was also held down with duck tape, and similar paint flaking problems have occurred. The car needs a lot of TLC, but living in Norfolk, there are plenty of locals around who used to work at the Lotus factory, and who know all about the cars, but haven't seen any for many years.

When I took 4129R (AOA76M) into a small local market town and parked it in the market square, an old local man wandered over, and in a broad Norfolk accent said "I haven't seen one of those for over 30 years. I used to make 'em. I was on the production line. I used to stick the two halves of the bodyshell together". When I filled up with petrol (gas) on my way to the Lotus factory last Sunday, the garage owner told me he was on the Elan production line, and the Europa production line was behind him.

The car (4129R) gets a lot of admiration in the County where she was made. I will take her to the Norwich v Arsenal soccer match this Sunday, park her in the County Hall car park nearby, and see what the reaction is. Lotus used to sponsor the Norwich City football team. In Norfolk, there are many people who have worked for Lotus over the years, so they are admired as a local product. The main other Norfolk product is turkeys. Bernard Matthews had 20 turkey eggs in the 1950's and started breeding them. He bought lots of WWII airfields around Norfolk, built turkey farms on them, and died recently a very rich man.

I have other connections with the good old US of A. A B17 Flying Fortress, "Eager Eagle" 42-29684  of the 351st Bomb Group crashed in my back garden in 1943. I am still picking .50 cal bullets out of my back garden where the brown Europa is kept under a large car port.

Alex.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,May 08, 2014, 12:51:22 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Alex.

What a fascinating tale, I live up the road in Lincolnshire and Europas are equally scarce up here.  I've not seen another on the local roads since we moved here, but there are a few Elans around.

How come you ended up importing one from the US, and was it an expensive exercise ?  I know they rarely come up for sale here but I'd always assumed it would be far too expensive to import a car.

From what you say it sounds like you've got the car moving again, any photos of how it's doing ?

Brian

ps - the house we live in now was also flattened towards the end of WW2 with a bomber crashing into it. We didn't know when we bought the house although we knew it was a more modern build than the name/old maps suggested. The outbuildings still exist, but with a few cracks in them !

Offline 4129R

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,May 08, 2014, 02:37:18 AM »
Hi Brian,

It will be a long time until the brown car moves under its own power. Apart from a complete nut and bolt restoration, I have to convert it to RHD, which costs little in parts, but takes ages moving everything across, and drilling lots of holes carefully in the fibreglass.

I bid for a white 1973 "L" reg UK car at an auction recently, but it was in very poor condition, and went for £9,200, so importing from the US and converting to RHD is a better option for me, as I have time at the weekends, and plenty of space to carry out the work slowly and carefully. The only difference will be the Zenith CD 175 /Stromberg carbs and different port big valve head against the Weber DCOE UK spec. But TBH, I am not after power, I am after a good looking car that starts and runs well, for local use.

My barn in Norfolk was built about 1780, modified by the B17 in 1943, and renovated from a shell and converted into a 4 bed residential barn by me over 12 years, weekends only. So the brown Europa is less of a challenge, but still quite a task as the years catch up on you. 

Cheers,

Alex.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,May 08, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
To Brian in Lincs,

I have also seen the black LHD car in Middx for sale at £8,250. Both petrol tanks have no tops at all, they are rusty buckets. The door hinges are loose. Everything that can rust badly, has. There is about 4 sq.ft of paint on the whole car. I offered him scrap value by email and got no reply. It has 4 wheels, but the tyres are flat. It is in a lock up in Hendon near the RAF museum. There is a new chassis hanging from the wall. The car would not roll out of the garage, so I couldn't open the doors. Not much nice to say about it really. All very sad.

Cheers,

Alex.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #12 on: Thursday,May 08, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »
Wow, £8k ?  perhaps now I can understand why you've imported one.

The sad thing about the ever-increasing value of old Lotus over here is that we seem to end up with people having vastly inflated ideas about the value of scrap.  I don't follow the market so hadn't seen the car you're referring to in Hendon, but it does sound like one of those "enthusiast needed" cars. 

Being someone like yourself (1st Lotus an Elan in the mid 70s) and having been through the "what part did that come off ?" maintenance regime, I just find it really strange that what I'd class as complete wrecks seem to be fetching £9 & £10k these days and even more if the Elan had a 2-tone paint job with a stripe on the side. 

As the wife would say - another sign of old age.....   :)

Brian