Author Topic: What do we think of this car?  (Read 418 times)

Offline berni29

What do we think of this car?
« on: Tuesday,August 31, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »
Hi Guys

I have owned a few +2's in my time but am a Europa virgin. Life is not the same without a Lotus and wondered what we collectively thought of this car. In my ignorance it seems quite good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224557871691?hash=item3448b1324b:g:rTcAAOSwxbdhCQvB

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1369584

Many thanks in advance!

Berni

Offline BDA

Re: What do we think of this car?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 31, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
First:  :Welcome:  Berni29!!!

She looks really good to me. It’s missing the ventilation fan so I wonder what else she might be missing. The body and interior look very nice but I was disappointed at the state of the engine compartment. Saying she moves around their site under her own power is better than nothing but I would have expected a real driving report. If you go see her, you should get a better idea of how she runs (as well as checking out the frame). If she runs good and the frame is in good shape, she should make a nice driver.

Offline gideon

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,August 31, 2021, 03:16:35 PM »
I would want to take a good look at the frame from underneath, and also to understand if that roll cage gets in the way at all.   

That's a huge battery for a small car, isn't it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,August 31, 2021, 04:42:48 PM »
Welcome Berni29

:Welcome:

Looks a little pricey. A lot of the finishing components emblems, dash,  ashtray, console are missing. That alone is another 1500.usd.
Dakazman

Offline Clifton

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,August 31, 2021, 07:04:03 PM »
It looks like the non US 65's had low headlights, nice. Looks like the heater inlet is blocked off too. I assume it was removed for weight but then there is the 30 pound battery? I like he color but for resale, track cars don't usually get more than non modded.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,August 31, 2021, 11:02:31 PM »
Hi Berni and another  :Welcome:  from your side of the pond....

I guess if you want a track car then that's a good start with little to do to get on track although the suspension/mechanicals will have question marks over them. The bodywork looks good though and that's usually the big ticket item.

If you want a road car then there's a lot of parts missing, some of which (door windows) might be hard to find and certainly won't be cheap. Alex (4129R on here) has restored/is restoring several TC's so he will have a very good idea of the state & cost of the spare parts market at the moment and could probably give you a better idea of the overall cost of returning the car to road trim.

Brian

Offline berni29

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 01, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
Hello, and thank you for the responses and welcomes!

I think what has been said makes good sense. As a car its nice, but from a value proposition less so. I guess I will keep looking, and having experienced several rusty +2 chassis before, I hear you on that point. It does surprise me how someone can invest a lot of time and effort on a project, but neglect the chassis and engine bay. Especially the chassis, as it is not like you can tidy it up afterwards.

Also the apparent lack of a heater is a major omission in the sunny UK :)

Thanks again

Berni