Author Topic: ‘69 Europa for sale on Bring a Trailer  (Read 635 times)

Online BDA

‘69 Europa for sale on Bring a Trailer
« on: Wednesday,November 18, 2020, 07:38:18 AM »
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-lotus-europa-5/

It’s pretty heavily modified including substantial body changes. I don’t know much about the different Renault motors but I’m pretty sure the description is incorrect in stating it has a twin cam engine. The roof has been taken off which would concern me since I think it might loose structural strength (I know about sunroof mods but they generally leave a lot more roof).

It wouldn’t be for me but the guy who did it put some thought into it and what he did seems to be pretty well done.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: ‘69 Europa for sale on Bring a Trailer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,November 18, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
Very interesting car. The top treatment reminds me of the S1 Elise, and surprisingly I find it works, though I wonder what's holding up the windscreen. I hope the 'A' pillars have been reinforced significantly. Generally speaking, I am not a fan of modified Europa body work, as I find it most often fails aesthetically. However, whoever did the work on this car has a great eye. I don't like all of it, especially the rocker extensions and the deck lid, but the front flares look pretty good, and the work to the rear quarters is exceptional. The rear 3/4 view is actually very attractive.

This car wouldn't be for me, but it's a neat project for someone with the right vision.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,November 18, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
I do not think any of the body mods are an improvement on the original design, by a long shot and that goes for most other moded cars. Even though I am against body mods to improve the aesthetics I would consider trying some out if the car was rough to start with. This would only be to the curve of the front wing to like the earlier cars or maybe a tad more.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,November 18, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
I am not sure I will leave the sunroof in my car (I have the cut out piece), I certainly would not remove the whole roof and replace it with pleather.....
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Online BDA

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 23, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »
This car went for $8069. I don’t think it was enough of a Europa to get a Europa price.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 23, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »
I turned down more than that for my very much a project but not badly molested TS head/Webers example.

Online BDA

« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 23, 2020, 05:42:59 PM »
I’m not a a stickler for originality but this one was so modified that it severely limited who might be interested in it. It’s one thing to need to do a lot of work to get it where you want it but it’s another to have to tear apart what the PO did to get where you want it.

If you liked the direction the PO was going, it would be a good deal but otherwise, it’s that much more work you need to do.