Author Topic: 697 Renault Engine - Timing  (Read 2103 times)

Offline lotuseater

697 Renault Engine - Timing
« on: Saturday,July 26, 2014, 03:30:12 AM »
Can anyone confirm the correct ignition timing for the S2 (UK - non-crossflow) Renault 697 1470cc engine in standard spec.
The manual says 4 degrees  BTDC static. (i.e. using a timing lamp between distributer LT terminal and earth - correct me if I'm wrong ). Then it refers to centrifugal advance of 7.8 degrees at 920rpm - so does this mean at a tickover of 920rpm, the timing would be almost 12 degrees BTDC if measured with a strobe light ? I believe you disconnect the vacuum unit to test this?

I've read various comments/posts refering to timing in the region of 10 degrees BTDC but it's not been specified if this is static or dynamic.

Has anyone else noticed the manual has contradictory information in places? Says the Distributer rotates anti-clockwise viewed from top, when unless I'm having a prolonged dumb period, mine rotates clockwise. When following instructions for the ignition timing, it also appears to give quite erratic information - if you follow points 8, then 9 in the attached instruction from the manual, then you end up with the timing way out - engine won't start.

I've been using 4 deg BTDC static - engine starts easily ( I have issues which I think are carburetter based as in previous post, with erratic 'juddery' firing with choke off but wanted to confirm timing was not the issue before I start looking at alternative manifolds and Webers etc....).

Its the original Ducellier distributer BTW.

Interested in any views on this.

Richard

« Last Edit: Sunday,July 27, 2014, 01:11:33 AM by lotuseater »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: 697 Renault Eninge - Timing
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,July 26, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »
Hi Richard,

You really need another S2 owner to chip in rather than someone with the TC engine, but here goes....    The static timing strikes me as quite a low figure but that's what the manual says so I'd just stick with it for now.  I read the second scan to mean that at 1000rpm you should be getting 8deg on a timing light, another surprise that the mechanical advance starts moving at such low revs. 

Even with Pertronix on both my cars I still set it up with static timing and then check with a timing light against the rev counter which is really just to check the mechanical advance is waking up.  I usually pop the distributor cap just to make sure it's heading for #1 terminal and then close it up. I put my test bulb across the coil terminal to the distributor and earth, which is easier to reach on the TC engine, but apart from that my method is pretty much the same as your scan says.

I had to smile at your comment about the manuals....    I can't comment on the Renault engines but there's been equal debate about the TC timing info in the past.  My attitude is that I use it as a start point and if it feels wrong then try a bit of experimentation; if it works better with a slightly different setting then "that's right"  :)

Brian 

Offline jbcollier

Re: 697 Renault Eninge - Timing
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,July 26, 2014, 09:23:48 AM »
If your engine is to spec, the distributor has 18° mechanical advance which is 36° at the crankshaft.  4° static would give you 40° total advance at the crank.  I certainly wouldn't go any further advanced.  Use your timing light to make sure the timing is advancing as the rpm increases.