Author Topic: My new Europa  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Europaforever

My new Europa
« on: Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 02:17:11 AM »
Hello,

Been a member for a while now but I'm getting excited about my new Europa purchase
and need to share!

I have a TC special that I have slowly been working on over the last year,
but the car I wanted to share about is an S2 that I bought recently that had been off the road
in storage for 25 years.

Now I have had the car for a few weeks and got to know it I connected
a battery to see what electrics I had working if any. On Sunday I found that the lights all work,
including the main beam, the fan works too.

On Monday night I found that the electric windows work too! (after 25 years!!) Then last night, I got the wipers working, no work here I just found how to work the switch!

So now all the electrics work, but since the delivery, the engine was an unknown.
So I have been putting oil down the bores and found that the crankshaft pulley turns when in gear. so it wasnt seized. Tuesday night I charged the battery fully and it didn't turn over but I got hte metallic clink from the starter. Thought I need a new one and maybe a heavier duty battery but found last night a solenoid wire had broken. I re-connected it, turned the key and guess what, the engine turns over nicely!. Now I'm just waiting for the weekend to put the sparks in an try to fire the engine!

Rgds, Mark

Offline buzzer

Re: My new Europa
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 02:43:29 AM »
Mark,

Good luck this weekend the startup.  :D Also interested how you are getting on with your TC.
Any pics

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 03:01:06 AM »
Ref the tc, slow progress but it's happening. Have to choose which one to work on now!

On the S2 it's fitted with a a R17 Gordini, 365 box with fabricated tubing to support. The
linkage is half tc and s2 as used to be suggested with these conversions. However, one
of the rose joints on the 'gate' behind the firewall is broken so getting it into gear is difficult.
Trying to think of the best way to access it. Remove the engine lid and head down, cut a section
out of the firewall or can it be accessed from underneath the car (first thing to try)!

Rgds Mark

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 06:48:29 AM »
It sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Good luck on both your Lotus projects! Please keep us posted!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
Hi Mark..... 

:ttiwwp:

Come on  Mark, you can't say you've got two cars and not post up any pictures !!!     :)

Brian

Offline vartai

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 06, 2014, 04:28:02 AM »
Very exciting!   Good luck on your projects.   
Debbi & Manny
Manny & Debbi
other car is a 1969 Elan + 2
and 2 everyday clunkers

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 06, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
Sounds like you are elbows deep in Europas. Not a bad place to be. Glad to hear good progress is being made. The 365 conversion is interesting. Good luck and keep us posted.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor