Author Topic: Mechanical Oil pressure line  (Read 377 times)

Offline dakazman

Mechanical Oil pressure line
« on: Tuesday,September 12, 2023, 02:56:07 PM »
  What is the going material for 1/8 flex line for oil pressure gauges? 
  Copper lines or plastic ?  I want to run my engine but since my low oil warning never shuts off and my electric gauge is an experiment i just need that
  piece of mind that a mechanical gauge gives.
      For 59$ on ebay for a complete set of gauges was a cheap answer.  I'll be using the gauges in a desktop dash, Also, for fabricating bezels and gloveboxes.
 Dakazman

Offline kram350kram

Re: Mechanical Oil pressure line
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,September 12, 2023, 05:20:47 PM »
I don't like plastic or copper, but copper is better. Plastic melts but copper cracks from vibration. AN line -3 or 4 stainless/teflon like Aeroquip or Earls is best. Gives a better indication on the gauge, no lag time so you can see idle pressure and RPM pressure almost instantaneously.   

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 12, 2023, 07:08:16 PM »
+1 on -4AN Teflon braided lines. And as a former Earl’s Supply distributor, Earl’s is a great choice. Back when I was selling it, there were few options. If you go to eBay, there are dozens of vendors that sell that hose. Some of it is not good. It’s better to pay a bit more to get good quality hose. Earl’s, Russell, and Goodridge are good brands and not the only ones.

Offline cazman

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 13, 2023, 04:15:58 AM »
Does anyone have experience running a braided line to the stock oil gauge? How do you make the connection, as the stock plastic slips over the nipple?
1973 Europa TCS

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 13, 2023, 05:14:34 AM »
There is a specific end  fitting for the stock gauge. I got it from Pegasus Racing. It attaches directly to the hose and then to the gauge, so no “adapter” is required. I will load a picture for you later today. I think I have the part number too. It’s really a clean install.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 13, 2023, 02:22:08 PM »
 I bought my braided line and adaptor from RD or Dave Bean.  I don't remember, but it was easy to find.  I don't like plastic or copper lines either.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 13, 2023, 06:13:02 PM »
I got mine from RDent
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Clifton

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,September 13, 2023, 07:36:03 PM »
I like mechanical but no way want to run a hard line in the car. Electric with a light is a plus. I never look at my oil pressure as it's way to far and my low pressure light is always on at idle but if it came on driving, I would not miss it but would never see the gauge showing low.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 13, 2023, 08:14:03 PM »
Both the plastic and brass lines are pretty reliable.  I changed the plastic one in my Seven.  It still worked but I figured a little preventative maintenance was in order after 55 years service.  I ran brass in my Europa.  I wrapped it with plastic spiral wrap for wiring.  With the brass line, you need to do a coil of loops on the engine end to eliminate fractures due to fatigue.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 13, 2023, 08:20:55 PM »
Fitting picture.

Offline cazman

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,September 14, 2023, 04:48:59 AM »
I'll check with RD
1973 Europa TCS

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,September 14, 2023, 04:54:19 PM »
  Thanks guys,
  The braided hose seems to be the way to go.  I had a copper line 50 years ago on my 67 firebird convertible that let loose and sprayed my leg with hot oil.  Not a fan since then of mechanical type gauges.  I rigged something up in the meantime and am happy with my “BA” seeing it reach 2 bar when cranking. The low oil pressure warning light did go out while cranking however comes back on and stays on until I pull the wire off sender.
  I work on that tomorrow but it seems it could cause a dead battery situation. The gauge is only temporary in its current location.

While taking in a win for the day I also verified water temperature gauge operation as described in the manual. The sender I installed in head was bad so I used another that I had on hand. When testing use a separate ground to the base of sender when dunking in boiling water.
Dakazman