Author Topic: S1 Fuel Line Plumbing  (Read 182 times)

Offline My S1

S1 Fuel Line Plumbing
« on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 08:59:40 AM »
Thought I would go through the fuel system and replace the sender and lines and add an in-line filter but I was aghast to see this wild two step playing out between 1/4" and 1/8" fuel lines.  Checking vintage magazine article pictures and the shop manual I found that my situation is exactly as it left the factory.  Is this a brilliant example of masterful hydraulic engineering prowess that I am too feeble to grasp?  Why do the inside diameters fluctuate so?  Would I be a fool to simply run 1/4" lines throughout and possibly reduce the pressures or increase volume?

Offline jbcollier

Re: S1 Fuel Line Plumbing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 10:21:25 AM »
The plastic lines are not 1/8.  They are thin wall so more like 3/16".  Regardless, it worked.  However, they are all VERY old and should be replaced without a doubt or delay.  Running the 1/4" hose is a fine idea.  Use ethanol-happy fuel line.  Be careful how it is routed and support it where needed.

I would also plumb back in the plugged off third line.  It's a metered feed back to the tank to keep the fuel circulating and cool as the engine compartment can get very hot.

Offline My S1

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 11:20:21 AM »
Interesting, thanks. 

There is a "T" piece on the line from the pump to the carb presently.  Not sure if it is original.  Is one return outlet better than the other for the function mentioned?

Offline My S1

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 12:12:21 PM »
Just noticed in the shop manual that the "T" is original.  We must have picked up a less than original fuel pump sometime in the past 56 years.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »
Some Renault pumps have the third port, some don't.