Author Topic: S1 STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT  (Read 211 times)

Offline My S1

S1 STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT
« on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 04:43:51 PM »
Here I go again with another dumb question.  I want to adjust my steering column rearward.  The Owner's Manual talks about two mechanisms that are not called out in the Shop Manual diagram.  Please see image.  Could someone please guide me along here with this task?  Many Thanks.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: S1 STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT
« Reply #1 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 11:48:19 PM »
Hi,
If you mean pulling the wheel back towards you, then there's a limited amount of adjustment in the column.

Slacken the lower clamp, the "rotating flange" on your sketch. You don't need to remove it, just enough to ease tension where the inner column is clamped.

Assuming you're not already at the limit of the flattened section, that will allow you to slide the wheel backwards. This will of course push the clip on the inner column which cancels the indicators away from the column switches mounted on the outer column. Hence you adjust the outer column, moving the switch assemblies so that it works again.

Brian
« Last Edit: Friday,February 10, 2023, 11:51:30 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline My S1

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »
Wonderful directions.  Thank you for your help.

Offline My S1

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 13, 2023, 08:49:00 AM »
Update;  it turns out that my S1 has the German government mandatory anti-theft steering column lock installed which prohibits the movement of the adjustment and collapsibility of the column.  Only option is to remove the lock and install a center panel switch.  I'll learn to live with the long reach.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 13, 2023, 10:35:24 AM »
The collapsing part is between the column's dash mount and the rack.  It's so the column doesn't act like a spear in a major collision.  It's out a ways already but there might be more available.