Author Topic: O' dem bones.....  (Read 1334 times)

Offline cal44

O' dem bones.....
« on: Friday,April 05, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »
While doing a complete rebuild on the front front suspension  on another Lotus I noticed the both wish bones where cracked where they connect to the shock.  Apparently it is helpful to weld a washer on both bones. 

I  will use  washers but will not weld it in/on.    The washer does provide a barrier so bolting up seems as though welding would not be necessary?  I did drill holes at the end of the cracks on the wish bones then welded all the offending areas.

Had I not decided to remove the paint I reckon this could have been a nasty situation when out on the road.  Apparently this is very common and has been discussed a length on Elan.net

Yes, I should have taken pictures.  But I tend to work at warp speed when in the mood and had it welded up in no time.  I am going to start the other side next week and I bet I will find the same cracking on dem' bones.  This time I will post some pictures.

Just a heads up............

mike

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: O' dem bones.....
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 05, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
well, you will buy all these old cars Mike.....    ;)

The washer trick is quite an old one, I remember it being talked about in the 70s when I bought my Elan. They're only tacked in place, I used quite thick ones on mine IIRC. The Europa doesn't have the same potential problem because I fitted Spyder wishbones which use 1/8" thick steel for the mounts and some very chunky welded nuts as well.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,April 10, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
I just welded on some Grade 8 washers......that should do it.......until it doesn't.    Brian, so the Spyder arms bolt on as the factory wish bones do?  Got any pictures?

mike
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,April 10, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »
I don't have any pictures on the PC but I'll take some. Personally I think they are a very elegant wishbone and very well constructed. Originally they were nickel plated but over the years that's worn away in places so they're just plain black now. Will take some shots later on today.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Friday,April 12, 2013, 07:11:55 AM »
Brian,
went to their website.......nice.

http://www.spydercars.co.uk/lotus-elan-2-front-suspension/
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 12, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »
Hey, they've re-vamped their website, it used to be a real ramshackle affair, so thanks for that link. I've been mulling over buying a set for the Elan but so far I've been frittering away the "Essential purchases" fund on totally irrelevant things for the new kitchen, so they've slipped down the list a bit.

Yep, them's the ones, but they've gone up a few pence since I bought mine.  The Europa ones look a bit better than the Elan ones, the bottom set having a curve which looks far more "engineered" than the pressed steel things that Lotus used. As promised I'll get a photo up when I can remember....   it's an age thing y'know.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,April 14, 2013, 06:59:40 AM »
I was all excited about installing the freshly done wish bones, shocks and springs.....until I realized I need to compress the new springs on to the platform, so I can put in the shocks................gawd..........

Now I will build a compressor as the tolerance is to close between the shock and spring for the average compressor.  It's always somethin'.............

mike
United States Marines