Author Topic: New to the forum.  (Read 739 times)

Offline buzzer

New to the forum.
« on: Friday,March 22, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »
Hi,
I have just joined this forum, and hopefully be buying a Europa shortly and a project car at that.  Why? well I have always liked them and I though it was about time to get one. My first experience with the Europa was along time ago ....the GKN 47D I worked at a student engineer in Vandevell's  and spent  few months in a cruddy old workshop where it was kept and wheeled out from.
Owner of a Westfield (which I built), BMW E30 and the run around in an Alpina D3.
looking forward to the challenge and the fun with a Europa!

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: New to the forum.
« Reply #1 on: Friday,March 22, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »
 Hello Dave, and :Welcome:

That's some history, I for one have never seen that car other than pictures in magazines and don't even know if it still exists ?  An interesting "first sight" though and bought back memories of the first time I saw one, a yellow flash streaking past the school bus and when we arrived at school it was parked up in the teacher's car park, guarded by staff telling everyone to go inside to their classes. That was either '67 or '68 I think, so it must have been one of the first ones in the UK.

There's some interesting cars in your garage, and if you can build a Westfield then a Europa won't be a problem for you. Lots of fun, probably slower than your Westie but I'll bet you get more satisfaction out of driving a Europa.

Brian

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Friday,March 22, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
 :Welcome:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,March 23, 2013, 04:27:31 AM »
Hello,

Welcome

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Monday,March 25, 2013, 07:30:22 AM »
Welcome Dave.  If you have any old photos of the Lotus experience.......don't be shy.
Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline buzzer

« Reply #5 on: Monday,March 25, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
Mike unfortunately I don't ave any photos of that early lotus experience. wish i had. However I can remember a few interesting facts. When 47D was built for GKN Colin Chapman refused to put GKN nuts and bolts on the car saying they were rubbish. So when it was delivered they swapped out all the nuts and bolts for GKN ones..
 I also remember the mechanics taking it for its MOT with treaded racing Avon tyres and they had to start the car with the engine cover off because it would blow back so much. It was a bit of a beast.
The front was fitted with 2 small fins to keep the front on the ground, I remember one of the mechanics telling me on the M40 doing over 120 that the front went very light so they thought they should do something about it.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK