Author Topic: reproduced bumpers v original  (Read 2016 times)

Offline lotusfanatic

reproduced bumpers v original
« on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 01:06:15 AM »
Hello all,

I have looked into the cost of having a pair of original bumpers rechromed at some point.
However there are stainless steel copies available - a MK1 Ford Cortina front (Europa rear) and a Ford Anglia front (Europa front) 
That’s assuming they’d sell just the Ford Anglia front bumper as they’re sold as a pair, yet the Cortina is available on its own.
I’ve read reviews and quite often there can be a fair amount of fettling to get them to fit (although the finish and shape is said to be very good)
Has anyone bought any?

Mark
« Last Edit: Friday,September 07, 2018, 01:08:16 AM by lotusfanatic »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: reproduced bumpers v original
« Reply #1 on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 01:41:26 AM »
sorry but I can't add anything to this thread other than I'm also interested in the stainless ones.  My chrome ones need serious polishing now to look half decent and I'd heard about the Cortina ones but didn't realise there were also stainless Anglia ones as well. 

I suppose accuracy isn't essential on the Ford cars because the bumpers are spaced on brackets, but on ours the bodywork is designed around the dimensions so we're more critical.  It would be great if anyone can comment on the fit ?

Brian

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #2 on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 02:16:14 AM »
Hello Brian,

I’m going to email the company and ask if it’s posssible to buy an Anglia front bumper (on its own) and a Cortina front bumper and try to get a price.
I’ll take a look at my car later to see if there’s any room for fettling to fit them...

Mark

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »
Hi Mark,

It's not an unreasonable request, just looking at one website (https://groupharrington.com/brand/ford/ ) they do sets for the cortina & anglia at around £500. They also have a "Lotus" section so perhaps they'd be interested to know that they can put a package together for the Europa and expand their market.  The front Elan+2 bumper is also the Anglia bumper so they could add that to the mix as well.

I'm away for the next few days but I'll check in to see what they say.

Brian

Stuleslie

« Reply #4 on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
What’s the view about scratches? I would have thought SS is more prone to light scratches. At £500 the pair that is about the same as a re- chrome (assuming you have ones to re-chrome😉)
Stuart

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
Stainless does scratch easier. I would prefer chrome.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
I believe a buddy of mine got stainless steel bumpers for his S2. His car isn't on the road yet but if there is interest, I'll ask him about them.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,September 07, 2018, 09:53:56 PM »
What’s the view about scratches? I would have thought SS is more prone to light scratches. At £500 the pair that is about the same as a re- chrome (assuming you have ones to re-chrome😉)
Stuart

Yes, I would expect them to scratch easier than chrome but it's fairly easy to polish out anything small. Anything too deep to polish is likely to be just as bad on chrome because the plating is only on mild steel which is going to deform about the same as 304 stainless. They won't have the same depth of chrome plating but OTOH they won't deteriorate either.

I think the trouble with chrome plating these days is finding someone in the UK who can do a good job that will last for more than just a couple of years.

I finally recalled where I'd seen these before and it was on the +2 section of Lotuselan.net. Apparently Harrington were looking at making rear bumpers for the +2 (very hard to get) but they didn't fit properly. At that time (2009) the Anglia one didn't fit exactly either and the thread petered out with "Harrington are looking at the problem" with no further updates. 

Brian

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,September 08, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »
I have emailed Harrington, once I’ve had a reply I’ll post their response,

Mark

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,September 11, 2018, 03:13:24 AM »
I have a further question,

the bumpers are both Ford items, do they need to have all of the holes in them?
(or could some of them - or all of them be left out?)

Mark

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,September 11, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »
The front 105E bumper has 4 square holes for chrome bumper bolts. 2 would be sufficient. It is very light.

The rear Cortina bumper has the 4 square bumper bolts, plus 2 round bolt holes for fixing the Cortina number plate. Just 2 square holes for the bumper bolts would be sufficient.

The less holes, the less perforations, the less bolts, the less the bolt costs, the lighter the car is, and the less likely there is anything to rust.

Chunky would approve. 

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,September 11, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »
Someone in Belgium has a rear bumper for their TCS, but Harrington are careful with supplying these. He had to measure the width of the body, to make sure it fit. Also, they wanted him to drill his own mounting holes.

The quality was OK, but not as good as the original one.

Serge

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »
Hello all,

Further update, Harrington can supply a Ford Anglia front bumper for £323 inc shipping and they will leave all holes out if requested or only omit those that aren’t required or supply per original.

My concern is that chrome plating is expensive and, as Brian said, it seems difficult to find somebody to plate parts that will last for any length of time...

I’d prefer good quality chromed originals but the appeal of stainless to simply ‘fit and forget’ is very tempting. Luckily I should be able to fettle the stainless bumpers in order to fit them - as long as they’re not greatly dissimilar.

Mark

Offline Yellowbelly

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2018, 05:15:36 AM »
Been watching this thread with interest as i too have been looking at stainless. Would there be any merit in approaching them regarding a group buy if we could get interest in several sets or see if they would put together a package deal for site members?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2018, 07:12:57 AM »
I had two of each bumper.  I brought all four to the chromers and they picked the best pair to refinish.  They stripped and prepped them and then gave them back to check for final fit.  Front bumper was fine as is but the rear bumper went back and forth two more times until it was just right.  That was all with an original, undamaged shell and original, undamaged bumpers.

I have worked with many reproduced body parts and there is always some fettling required.

Not trying to discourage anyone but do not be under any illusion that these will fit right out of the box or be exactly the right shape.